• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Grounded Today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It WAS a joke....you tell me how a partial day (so far) computer glitch necessitates the layoff pilots. I think we're all just going to be a tad paranoid for a while! :)

These things happen occaisionally....I wouldn't worry about it...I'm sure DAL has their top computer geeks on it as we speak.

I haven't seen this in the news anywhere, though...not on the CNN website, FOX NEWS website, DELTA.COM, etc. Maybe its not a big a deal as reported here in Hangarland.

Big Deal....

Associated Press
Glitch Interrupts Delta's Atlanta Service
Saturday May 1, 6:17 pm ET
Computer Glitch Prevents Delta's Atlanta-Bound Flights From Landing for Two Hours

ATLANTA (AP) -- A computer glitch kept Atlanta-bound Delta Air Lines flights on the ground for about two hours Saturday, but the company was gradually restoring service to its main hub.
Flights that were in the air at the time the glitch arose were allowed to land in Atlanta, Delta spokeswoman Liza Caceres said.

"We had groundstopped all flights to Atlanta, but are slowly bringing them back up," Caceres said. "We hope to have the problem resolved shortly."

When the problem first arose about 3 p.m. Caceres had said it involved all flights for Atlanta-based Delta, the nation's third-largest airline.

Caceres did not have immediate information on the number of flights still being held at gates late Saturday afternoon.

"This is not a safety or security issue," Caceres said.

----THE SKY IS FALLING----THE SKY IS FALLING----THE SKY IS FALLING!

Come on guys--this is not FM3. The problem was fixed and luckily it was on a Saturday---not the busiest of days for us. But, I have a theory on who was at fault here-------the mainline pilots'. It is always our fault.....and it was also the fault of RJs.....Atleast it was fixed.....

Bye Bye---General Lee;)

PS---by the way Ace757--you should get a job with USAToday---your "gripping" headline for this thread will attract a lot of viewers---even though Delta was not grounded for the "DAY", rather a few hours---and for a computer glitch. You don't want to get those Airtran and Jetblue guys too excited......;)

Last edited:
General Lee said:
PS---by the way Ace757--you should get a job with USAToday---your "gripping" headline for this thread will attract a lot of viewers---even though Delta was not grounded for the "DAY", rather a few hours---and for a computer glitch. You don't want to get those Airtran and Jetblue guys too excited......;)
Were the airplanes grounded yesterday? Will they be grounded tomorrow? How about last week? Which day was it that they were grounded? Hmmmm Oh, yeah. It was TODAY.

He didn't say "for a day" - - he said "Today"

Relax, Francis! :) :D :)

(You're right, it was mainline pilots' fault - - they're trying to rig the RPMs for the next quarter so the furloughee recalls will be expedited. And then DALPA can start pressing for the 5% pay raise on top of the one that's about to kick in, and THEN they'll start insisting COMAIR and ASA pilots are furloughed out of seniority order.)

(Sorry, that's all the fabrication I can muster for a single post. :) )

Actually I saw some footage of Dabney Coleman dragging Matthew Broderick out of the Delta G.O. by his collar....Matthew apparently was just trying to hack into Deltanet to play tic tac toe and all hell broke lose...

Tony,

You have to admit the thread title could have added more--since there was room. It was "sensational" to say the least. But, I will be ok I guess.......

Also, since the RPM trigger was hit, they don't have to hit it again to expedite anything. Next week Dalpa and management have agreed to meet to discuss a recall schedule. And, I doubt I will see any other raises for many many years after this May 1st one----and we wanted to give that one up too. I guess you guys need to take the lead and keep those rates up. Soon both Fedex and UPS pilots SHOULD be the highest paid.....

Bye Bye--General Lee;)

I edited my first post just for you General:D Tried to change the threads title too, but it didnt work. Oh well. I thinks we all get the idea of what happened today. No big deal

ACE757,

You're right---it really was no big deal---I just thought the title was a little harsh--but that is ok. Hey, we had a screw up today at Delta----that is a fact. From what I hear it was some type of worm that affects computer systems..........And, I know we should be able to still dispatch flights with manual releases---we still do them in recurrent each year---I did one three weeks ago!

And, again Ace---I love that avatar. Take care----I didn't mean to be harsh or anything....

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :cool:

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Also, since the RPM trigger was hit, they don't have to hit it again to expedite anything. Next week Dalpa and management have agreed to meet to discuss a recall schedule. And, I doubt I will see any other raises for many many years after this May 1st one----and we wanted to give that one up too. I guess you guys need to take the lead and keep those rates up. Soon both Fedex and UPS pilots SHOULD be the highest paid.....

Bye Bye--General Lee;)
That part of my post was parenthetical sarcasm to go along with your sarcasm about it being mainline pilots' fault.

We'll do our best on the rates! :)

FM III update

Associated Press
Glitch Interrupts Delta's Atlanta Service
Sunday May 2, 12:14 am ET
Service Restored After Computer Glitch Interrupts Delta's Atlanta Service for 6 1/2 Hours

ATLANTA (AP) -- A computer glitch kept Atlanta-bound Delta Air Lines flights on the ground for about 6 1/2 hours Saturday. The problem was fixed Saturday night, but the carrier said it was still experiencing delays.
Delta spokeswoman Liza Caceres said Saturday night the nation's third-largest airline didn't know how many flights had been affected.

The problem arose about 3 p.m. EDT. Flights that were in the air at the time the glitch occurred were allowed to land in Atlanta, Caceres said.

Caceres did not provide details of the computer problem but said, "This is not a safety or security issue."

Kathleen Bergen of the Federal Aviation Administration said Delta told the FAA it had a problem with computers that calculate weight and balance and handle information related to preparing for flight, as well as gate information.

"It was not safety-related in any way," Bergen said.

Livi Jester and her husband had driven from Greenville, S.C., to Atlanta to await the arrival of her grandmother on a flight from Miami.

"They keep telling us that the flights are being delayed every 15 minutes," Jester said.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040502/delta_computers_4.html

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back