Delta Express vs Song

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotAg

I know that they are going to use a different type of plane, but what is the big difference between the two? Also, if Express didn't work, why would Song? Thanks.

Differences are too numerous to mention, but I suggest you visit www.flysong.com to see some of them.

On a related note, what makes you say that Delta Express didn't work? The fact that SONG may work better does not necessarily mean that DEX was a failure. In fact, it did exactly what it was designed to do, keep low-yeild traffic away from ATL, and allow other growth their. In that regard (considering the success of ATL), it worked very well. I think that SONG will do even better. After all, different competition leads to different responses. I am glad to see Delta being proactive.

Another opinon can be found here http://www.aviationplanning.com/

While it is just one man's opinion, I think it makes a lot of sense.

Here in lies the confusion. If DEX wasn't a failure, why did Delta get rid of it all together? It just doesn't make sense to abolish a program that is successful. During these troubled times, wouldn't Delta need the revenue it was bringing in?

Please reread my post. Delta feels that they are enhancing the DEX concept, not abandoning it. SOng will be flying the same routes, so they are not abandoning the revenue, they hope they will be increasing it.

PilotAg,

Well, DLX was not a failure---it mainly broke even and kept marketshare for Delta. I flew it for 1 year and we were always full, and still are I hear. But, the older 737-200 isn't as nice as the Jetblue A320 with the TV's etc---so Delta had to do something. The 757's in Song will have the same fuel burn as a 737-200, carry 80 more pax, and have better entertainment choices than Jetblue's product. (newer equipment with email capability---in OCT--, also the ability to create your own music song lists for the flight etc...and DirectTV) Before the pilots were paid differently. Now everyone except the pilots will be paid differently, but the 80 extra pax will more than compensate.
The 757's will be flown more thoughout the day--13.2 hours, and have quicker turns. One of the reasons people think Express was a failure was that after 9-11, 1/2 of it was shut down. Well, we also furloughed 400 pilots in Nov of 2001, and most of them were Express FO's. We couldn't furlough out of senority order, and Express paid the least and had the junior pilots. We just didn't have the right plane to compete with Jetblue, and now we do. Along with the choice for New Yorkers to fly out of all three major NYC airports, the comforts will be nice and the frequent flyer program doesn't hurt. I think we will do a lot better than Express which really didn't do a bad job. I think we will be successful against Jetblue.

Bye Bye---General Lee:cool:

PilotAg,
Delta Express did very well at least at first. One of Delta's top execs. was quoted as saying that in the first 3 or 4 years it made "serious cash." However as the 737-200 fleet is getting older and the maintenance costs are rising. Delta felt they could find a better fit for the low fare market.

Latest resources

Back