• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta engine fire at DCA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's probably just Delta only flight time from the company's database.

Actually it was some low time crew, check out the NTSB report in the above link:
"the captain had a total flight time of 2,941 hours in all aircraft, 2,112 hours in this make and model, of which, 190 hours were in the last 90 days and 4 hours in the previous 24 hours"

How is it possible to be an MD88 capt at Delta with under 3000 hours?
How is it possible to get hired at Delta with 800 hours (assuming that all the MD88 time was acquired at Delta)

"the first officer had a total flight time of 3,345 hours in all aircraft, 2,234 hours in this make and model, of which, 173 hours were in the last 90 days and 4 hours in the previous 24 hours.

Same for the FO, if all the MD80 time was aquired at DAL then this guy was hired with 1000 hours

I believe that to be total time in company aircraft.

Still-

That is pretty shocking. 2000 hours at DAL? I thought the upgrade time was about 15 to 20 years back then.

I had to re-read that myself many times....Kinda odd, but that must have been in ALL Delta airplanes. Still, very low time.....

Maybe he was a management suckwad like Kolshak, (4'th floor dweller who never flies)....usually the scariest to be around.

Maybe you forgot to turn something off....

(Pretty easy to do when you are on that conference call with RA, Atkin, Ron Burgundy, and Jesus.)

-But then again-that is how you always get the "inside track."

Funny!

I had the CA and FO dhd one of my flights out of DCA the day after it happened. The engine produced large vibration right after takeoff thrust was set and immediately failed. A low speed abort was accomplished, and they pulled off the runway. Tower told them they saw smoke coming from the engine so they rolled the trucks.

There never was a fire indication in the cockpit, however significant smoke was produced for a time afterwards. They taxiied into the gate under their own power after inspection and precautionary foaming from CFR.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

You should read the posts on the original link to the airticle. It's been a few days since I read them, but last I read was a person complaining that they didn't evacuate the plane fearing that the engine fire would cause the wing tanks to explode.

Latest resources

Back