• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta CVG ER

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wanna bet? They owe DAL millions of dollars. Actually hundreds of millions. There are at least for that DAL would love to get rid of. Whether DAL bites is another story.

The marketing guys are stating that they want at least 25 744's to make the fleet work for em.
Why does Boeing owe DAL hundreds of millions of dollars??? Don't tell me it's because they are late on 787. DAL has only 15 firm orders. If that's the case then how much do they owe the dozens of other carriers that have much larger numbers on order for the 787 than DAL? Boeing would go bankrupt.

Why does Boeing owe DAL hundreds of millions of dollars??? Don't tell me it's because they are late on 787. DAL has only 15 firm orders. If that's the case then how much do they owe the dozens of other carriers that have much larger numbers on order for the 787 than DAL? Boeing would go bankrupt.

A contract is a contract. In the order there were penalties for late delivery probably. Why can't you understand that? What happens if you are late with your rent check? The answer is penalties. It happens in most contracts.

NWA's deposit on all of those jets were very high. Because of the way OUR deal is structured, WE(DAL) have the right to all of that money. Creates some serious leverage.

Any idea what international destinations you're looking at out of SEA?

Points West that turn in to East. Go look at the marketing loads on the DAL net. There is some of that in there. Until it is loaded in the system it cannot be talked about.

I think I saw one or two out of SFO in there for June 1.

A contract is a contract. In the order there were penalties for late delivery probably. Why can't you understand that? What happens if you are late with your rent check? The answer is penalties. It happens in most contracts.
You obviously don't work for DAL (or for that matter any other airline). If you did you would know a "contract is a contract" isn't worth the paper it's written on. I'll buy the fact the Boeing may owe DAL a couple hundred mill, but that still doesn't cover the cost of 6-8 refurbished 744's does it??

You obviously don't work for DAL (or for that matter any other airline). If you did you would know a "contract is a contract" isn't worth the paper it's written on. I'll buy the fact the Boeing may owe DAL a couple hundred mill, but that still doesn't cover the cost of 6-8 refurbished 744's does it??

I'd doubt DAL is interested in owning 6-8 more 744 for the long haul. 5 Years or so maybe. I could easily see Boeing saying here...use these birds until we can get you the ones you want. Be they 787's or 777-300's.

Last edited:
I'd doubt DAL is interested in owning 6-8 more 744 for the long haul. 5 Years or so maybe. I could easily see Boeing saying here...use these birds until we can get you the ones you want. Be they 787's or 777-300's.

We need a fleet that can make money. Marketing has proven their case that the 744 can make money, and do so even as oil goes up. 25 is the number they stated in the road shows as a optimum fleet.

We need a fleet that can make money. Marketing has proven their case that the 744 can make money, and do so even as oil goes up. 25 is the number they stated in the road shows as a optimum fleet.

I don't doubt you one bit.

I was more replying to the previous poster saying how Boeing probably doesn't owe us 6-8 744's worth outright. I'm sure they are willing to work some pretty sweet deals though be the planes be for long term or short term, these planes or those planes. I picked 5 years because who knows. Maybe they'd all stay then or maybe the fleet would finally start making it's departure, but if they are going to ramp up for growth of the fleet I'd imagine they'd be around for at least that long depending on who's paying what bills.

I'm all for the 744's staying around as long as possible. I had kissed the dream of flying one away long ago! Hopefully they pull the trigger...if it's for the good of the airline of course.

Last edited:
I don't doubt you one bit.

I was more replying to the previous poster saying how Boeing probably doesn't owe us 6-8 744's worth outright. I'm sure they are willing to work some pretty sweet deals though be the planes be for long term or short term, these planes or those planes. I picked 5 years because who knows. Maybe they'd all stay then or maybe the fleet would finally start making it's departure, but if they are going to ramp up for growth of the fleet I'd imagine they'd be around for at least that long depending on who's paying what bills.

I'm all for the 744's staying around as long as possible. I had kissed the dream of flying one away long ago! Hopefully they pull the trigger...if it's for the good of the airline of course.

Well if we can fill em up, which I am sure we can (even at 130 a bbl oil) they have the lowest cost per seat. Em facts do not lie. In fact they can be cheaper than a 777, even more so when the lease is slim to non existent.

Latest resources

Back