Delta Connection Pax Brief on Guard...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atrdriver said:
Yep, there is an audio panel that either has switches, push buttons, or a knob to select what you will "transmit" on when you hit the mic. Personally, since I did my PA to ATL departure I hold the PA button down the entire time I'm talking on the PA. And I look at the audio panel a lot, cause I say lots of stuff that don't need to be on the frequencies OR the PA...:)
Hats off to the ATR drivers at ASA. Got me home many + times. Thanks!:)

I've answered a few radio calls over the PA, but that's about the worst I've done publicly up to this point.

I had a wise@ss captain who would wait until I did a PA then key the #1 radio just as I began. He would then gesture emphatically to the #1 radio head as I spoke, which would be showing "TX", making me think I was doing the PA over Center freq. Ever since then, I check my audio panel pretty much every time I key the mic, so I'll never have to worry about making another mistake.;)

atrdriver said:
It's not a question of if you are going to do it sometime, it's WHEN you're going to do it. If you're lucky you won't have a voice that is too distinctive or you won't mention your flight number.
I don't know about you...but I always look at the RTU's to see which(if any) shows "TX" when I hit the PTT. Of course, at my low time, I may be paranoid...and after time, I will get more relaxed and not pay as much attention. Who knows. Then again, maybe I'm one of the few that screwed up so much early on(on this exact thing) that I learned from it.. :D

FracCapt said:
I don't know about you...but I always look at the RTU's to see which(if any) shows "TX" when I hit the PTT. Of course, at my low time, I may be paranoid...and after time, I will get more relaxed and not pay as much attention. Who knows. Then again, maybe I'm one of the few that screwed up so much early on(on this exact thing) that I learned from it.. :D
I'm usually pretty good about watching what radio I'm chatting on...hate to give center a free show and I really hate to see one of my coworkers aknowledge a request for a different altitude.

Flying the Saab, coming into the hub I had just switched to #2 to give the in-range report when we get a RA. Small GA plane, could see it, getting close. I keyed up to advice ATC of our deviation from altitude to follow the RA and avoid the other aircraft. Get an increase climb (must have been doing a chandelle or something) so we keep going up, and I say something again. Then level out, start returning to altitude. Call again to advise. The entire time, I'm getting no response. Then I look... and realize I was on company frequency. You'd think someone... operations, dispatch, maintenance, another aircraft, the captain... would have told me I was a moron. But no. Confessed to ATC that we followed an RA but were transmitting on another radio, and luckily their response: "Yeah, we figured. Anyways, turn left to 290, descend and maintain....."

FlyChicaga said:
You'd think someone...operations, dispatch, maintenance, another aircraft, the captain...would have told me I was a moron. But no...
From what Al tells me, you're lucky if your ops people answer you at all. :D

I love the Diesel 9. Just pick up the telephone to brief the pax. No buttons to confuse.

Now when I get to the bus, I'll probably brief center about once a day :(

enigma

enigma said:
I love the Diesel 9. Just pick up the telephone to brief the pax. No buttons to confuse.

Now when I get to the bus, I'll probably brief center about once a day :(

enigma
Two of Jill Clayburgh's lines from the movie "Silver Streak" come to mind...

"I know what goes where, and why."

"I give great phone!"

FN FAL posted
Two of Jill Clayburgh's lines from the movie "Silver Streak" come to mind...

"I know what goes where, and why."

"I give great phone!"
Ohh, great movie, and it's finally coming out on DVD! My favorite line, from the biplane scene, as they're about to buzz sheep:

"They talk about the joy of sex, but it don't last like the fun of flying!"

I think my biggest faux pas (had to call a professor to figure out what word to use there) on the radio was asking the passenger cabin for our clearance to O'Hare. The door was still open, when I looked back I got some quizzical looks from the passengers.

One instructor told me about a smart alec who used to work the ops radio in Dallas. When a pilot would accidentally transmit to ATC over the company freq, the guy would respond with something like, "Roger 123, you're cleared to join the JACKASS arrival, fly the DUMBASS transition."

Hey, FAL, do you have one of your namesakes? I've got a DSA one in 308, and man is it fun.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back