• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Connection Academy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only thing that I know about the Comair Academy is that they have ads in all the aviation mags. The one with the class picture and the guy in the middle who looks like he is dropping a load in his pants.

I doubt that this helps, but I have to laugh every time I see that picture.

CA uhhem Delta Conn Academy.

The only factual story I've heard about it is the guy that spent $19,000 on his private/instrument and didn't even get finished with his commercial. He just didn't have enough $ to finish and came to a local FBO for us riff-raff aviators to finish him up. What are they doing down there besides playing dress-up?

I think everybody's noticed the guy dropping the load in his pants, its in all the magazines.. ("only WE have the jobs to sell" ads). If anybody knows who this guy is, please let us know, I don't want him flying anybody I care about. He's probably been fired by now for pooping in the cockpit.

yep

Do a search on this school, you will find much to read about.

Theyno longer rent their own planes do to some accidents that happened during the last year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What they charge for multi time is very high, and you if you do the instructor program , multi program only gives you 50 hours, plus you must have at least 800 dual given to get into this.

They take some where around only one percent of who they train, and like most schools enrollment is down , with a very low forgin student count.

That is why most students don't finish their program, they wind up going else where.:cool:

Worked for me!

I know the "load dropper " personally...flight instructed with him. Great pilot and a hoot to hang with!!

I went to CAA, now DCA, with only my PPL and finished on budget plus 10%. It's no cake walk by any means. The material and training comes fast and furious, which was fine by me because I had undergone the Navy's nuclear power training years before and was used to the 'fire hose' by then. That befuddled lots of people who were young and immature, partiers, and those that had difficulty with fast-paced programs.

As a current Comair FO, I can say the program definately worked as advertised for me. It doesn't for all, but if you have the burn, the desire, and the ability, you have a good chance, too! I have friends from all walks of life as fellow FOs...lawyers, teachers, physical therapists, and desk jockeys.

You ought to go for a visit. They'll non-rev you down there for a guided tour.

By all means, check into other schools and FBO/flying clubs. DCA is definately an expensive route to go, but in today's climate, it may be well worth the investment...it was to me.

Best Regards!

Huh?

Just to clarify a couple of items for those considering DCA as a flight training choice:

* The decision to stop renting a/c to students was the result of a new insurance carrier, not accidents/incidents.

* DCA charge for ME time is comparable to to other flight academies in the area.

* The Flight Instructor portion of the training course includes 800 hours of dual given; yes a minimum of 50 hours ME dual given is a part of the course. The MEI rating is usually completed at around 600 hours dual given so that the majority of ME time is completed just before the airline interview.

I would encourage anyone considering the program to take advantage of a free flight and visit DCA. You can talk to anyone you see on the tour. Ask questions, do your homework. Know what's important to you re your career and future. Yes, you have several choices -- lots of choices -- when it comes to flight schools. But at the end of the day, what is your goal? DCA still sends more flight instructors to the regionals than anyone else out there. Blood, sweat, tears, $$ are all required to complete the program, but talk to some of the guys/gals now in the right seat of an RJ that are a product of DCA . . . . . .my guess is, they will tell you it was worth it.

Good luck in your decision :)

p.s. yeah, they really do need a new picture for the ads! Even if he is a great guy!!:D

I went there as a student, instructed there and moved on to a regional with just over 1,000 hours. You must be prepared to study and work hard...Perhaps on the level of a graduate program. I knew quite a few people who spent 20% or more than their projected cost, but how many places can potentially take you from 100 hrs TT or less to a regional job in under two years?
It's intense (if you're doing it right), and expensive, but like so many things, you get what you pay for.

Dude I would do you a major research if your gona attend Comair. I was a former student and it was out of hand the money was insane. Most of the dudes that got somewhere with comair was prob back in the days i could be wrong. The multi its insane !!With the price 288 and hour for a seminole? But if you got the brains you could pull it off with a heft price. I would check out flight safety.

Going to any 141 school is going to costs big bucks....but you also get what you paid for.

I came to DCA with my Commercial/Multi/Instrument courtesy of a USAF Aero Club. Over the next 13 weeks I underwent the most intense, thorough aviation education that anyone could imagine and realized how much I hadn't learned via the Aero Club (a 141 operation). I did it for less than the estimate. I'm now about to go through the standz class and start instructing.

As some of the previous posters stated, it takes 100% dedication and commitment on your part to make it through. The standards of expected performance are extremely high and many burn out before they can finish. I've heard a few people cite money or "its not fun anymore". I don't think the intent is fun, its hard work with an airline interview at the end of the tunnel.

The school does "invite" most (80%?) of it's CFI graduates back for CFII and instructor standz and I've seen about 8 instructors per month getting picked up by Comair or Chataqua. So, the program definitely does work if you want to fly for a regional.

Before I decided on DCA, I checked in with Flight Safety and TAB Express. Flight Safety has a reputation second to none for flight training but I got the impression that if I didn't get all of my ratings through them, I would be languishing in a candidate pool for a very long time before I logged any dual given. They also stopped answering my emails as I guess I was asking too many questions. TAB interested me because of the turbine time but would tap-dance around the hard questions, "who are you placing students with?", "how many students got hired in the last month?". The final sell on DCA is they didn't candy coat anything. They were up front with the hire rate and the pay ($10/hr).
You may want to check out this web site:

www.oneflyingleap.com

One of the students has chronicled his journey all the way through.

I hope this info helps but the decision is ultimately yours. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back