Delta Connection Academy Hiring Senior CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A few observations...

1) These position have been posted for awhile. If the $10/hr is legit, now we know why.

2) As soon as somebody accepts the $10/hr management job, the next CFI job will be $8/hr.

Sometimes I feel our industry is similar to government contracting -- the job goes to the lowest bidder. As long as somebody is willing to do that job for that small amount of money, there is no motivation or reason for the industry to change. Like I said, those positions have been open for awhile. This is a good thing.

New Poll:

What hourly rates have people earned as a CFI?

I'll start.
$15, $22.50, $27.50

...and the $27.50 was in a place that does not have a high cost of living.

I started part time at $10 got my CFII got $11 got my MEI and was making $13. I was in college in a VERY low cost of living area. The next job instructing job i took paid $22 with benefits, my parents are paying my little sisters gymnastics coach $35 an hour. I guess thats why Im getting out of aviation...

I got paid $20 a hour for single, $27 for multi, and $30 for customer's aircraft and that up to 4 years ago. Anything special like cirrus time was negotiated. Also, none of this includes the money I made for teaching grounds schools, which I believe averaged out to about $30 a hour.

Delta connection charges something like $54 a hour for dual and only pays the instructor 8-10 a hour. That should be criminal. They also charge a couple of thousand at least for their ground schools and only pay the instructor $8-10 a hour.

Last edited:
More ramblings of an under-utilized mind...

Sanford, Fla.—Dec. 12, 2006—Delta Connection Academy, a subsidiary of Delta Air Lines and a leading aviation institution known for training some of the industry’s finest pilots, today accepted delivery of the first of 50 new Cirrus SR20 Glass cockpit aircraft for use at their flight school located in Sanford, Florida. The arrival of the remaining 49 aircraft is scheduled to be completed by March 2008. The academy also has options for an additional eight aircraft.

1) Let's start a pool...pick a day that the first DCA SR20 "lands" under the chute.

2) I just reread the original post. A "Senior CFI" is one with 400 hours of dual given?!?!? Please refer to Item #1.

3) What is going to happen when they (refer to Item #2) are teaching stalls in the SR 20 (that still has the new plane smell) and the student stomps on the wrong pedal? (refer to Item #1) I guess that's what the "options for an additional eight aircraft" is for. Will that be enough?

I started part time at $10 got my CFII got $11 got my MEI and was making $13. I was in college in a VERY low cost of living area. The next job instructing job i took paid $22 with benefits, my parents are paying my little sisters gymnastics coach $35 an hour. I guess thats why Im getting out of aviation...

Or is it really because you like the idea of little girls on sawhorses???? Gymnastics in your future?

Relax. Joking. I'm getting out of aviation too. Just as soon as I figure out what else I know how to do.....

Oh God I would love to have this job! Is Susan Burrell still there? I have a fantasy about her that involves jumper cables and duct tape.

Hmmm..I have been thinking about a lateral career move. I currently make $23/hr and no flight benefits, but $10/hr with flight benefits....sounds like a regional. I guess I would be a SUPER SENIOR flight instructor with 900 hrs dual given and 3 years exp. Screw that place.

I'm a student at the EFD base. The instructors now get a whopping $11 an hour. I'm probably not going to work there even if they payed more. I live an hour away. On a side note,I live a mile from DWH. I went in the other day and asked if they were hiring help at United Flight Systems. They assumed I was a flight instructor and started begging me to apply there. And the place I was at starts guys at more than $11 an hour.

Latest resources

Back