• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta CEO: 'We need lots of folks with language skills'

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I remember lots of jump seating on Northwest to Asia and seeing junior, mostly country specific FAs on the connections out of NRT. Since the merger, is there any FA contract language that forbids this for US based FAs? If they want to hire a bunch of US based FAs to do international flights, I would think the senior FAs would have an issue with not getting the trips they should be able to hold with seniority. I guess I'm asking if seniority is now mostly meaningless to the Delta FAs.

LOD FAs at pre-merger DL were able to pretty much bypass seniority and get some pretty sweet layovers, and of course the senior mamas weren't too happy about it. But unless the grandma decides to pick up Rosetta stone or learn a new language on their own, i suppose it will remain that way, and for good reasons.

DAL has two to three LOD speakers on all of their international flights. They have separate bidding for their LOD cities. This also hold true for the pursers.

Will this change? Maybe it depends on their union vote and what is agreed to in their contract if they opt for representation.

Lots of languages spoken in Atlanta. You've got your ebonics, your ghetto, your rap, your talk to the hand......

You did notice that the government is looking for applicants with language skills similar to that. No I am not kidding.

You think us pilots can moonlight as LOD FA?? If the FA thinks it only takes 6 weeks to become a pilot flying a jet, maybe we can go through their training in 4 weeks?;)

I will first start the interview with a 2 hour long speech (or diatribe) to all the male FA applicants about the difference between mousse and hair gel. Then, I will talk about why it is a great idea that gay fellas can do all sorts of great jobs these days! I will let them know that in addition to becoming FAs, they may have a great future in ice dancing, ballet (like the current White House Chief of Staff,) or maybe if they are really "over the top-super-gay," they can fly big planes-just like me!! Then I will talk about how I lift weights everyday while in ATL, and also ride my bike. After all of that is over, I will open it up to any guys who don't have a "significant other," and we will commence speed-dating each other!! I can't wait!

Bye Bye--General Lee

-You scare me, Gen... You really do!

You think us pilots can moonlight as LOD FA?? If the FA thinks it only takes 6 weeks to become a pilot flying a jet, maybe we can go through their training in 4 weeks?;)

I know. I had one give me that argument a few weeks ago as to why their pay should be restored to 60 bucks an hr.

I just walked away.

I don't have a problem with them making $60 per hour, as long as the airline is making money and I'm getting at least 3 times that in the right seat and 4 or 5 times that in the left.

Latest resources

Back