• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta CEO on the CRJ-200 cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am not sure why people think Delta will buy 9e. Delta hates owning regionals. Why pay for the cost of swapping bases and planes around when you can just tell people to do it and not pay for it?
Delta already owns it through the DIP financing. They just don't have their own name on the title.

More like a wholly pwned regional airline.

Delta already owns it through the DIP financing. They just don't have their own name on the title.

More like a wholly pwned regional airline.

Hmmmm, and what happens after bankruptcy? Delta does not want to own regionals...period. Just like they don't want 200's, which some people couldn't get through their skulls while bickering back and forth through this whole process (not directed at Flyer in particular). Oh no, our 200's are locked in until 2017...they are the newest bestest airplanes on the planet...give me a break. Again, it is pretty ironic that original 9e guys still sit there and say your welcome for "saving" our jobs when in a week or two, they will be slated for losing more airplanes than Colgan or Mesaba. This company is fricken ridiculous from the training department, to the check airmen (heard from others, not experienced myself), to the ex-management that got us in this mess.

Okay, before I turn into Xjhawk ;) rant over. Thank you for listening. Obviously not all directed at replied post either.

One more quick thing I heard. Management told the union they probably won't type fo's because before the deadline next year all of the fo's will have already been captains. FANTASTIC!

Last edited:
Serious question:

What makes you think that you will emerge from bankruptcy?

Don't get emotional - just think critically: what is the competitive advantage to having any number of 900s flown by ultra-senior Mesaba lifers? No matter how concessionary the contract is, Gojets and the like can fly the airplane for less than the cost of just your captain. Why would Delta want that?

Notice how the company is not even bargaining with the employees? "Rethinking our business plan" my a$$. The plan is set and there is only one outcome. The math is clear.

Hmmmm, and what happens after bankruptcy? Delta does not want to own regionals...period. Just like they don't want 200's, which some people couldn't get through their skulls while bickering back and forth through this whole process (not directed at Flyer in particular). Oh no, our 200's are locked in until 2017...they are the newest bestest airplanes on the planet...give me a break. Again, it is pretty ironic that original 9e guys still sit there and say your welcome for "saving" our jobs when in a week or two, they will be slated for losing more airplanes than Colgan or Mesaba. This company is fricken ridiculous from the training department, to the check airmen (heard from others, not experienced myself), to the ex-management that got us in this mess.

Okay, before I turn into Xjhawk ;) rant over. Thank you for listening. Obviously not all directed at replied post either.

One more quick thing I heard. Management told the union they probably won't type fo's because before the deadline next year all of the fo's will have already been captains. FANTASTIC!

Serious question:

Don't get emotional - just think critically: what is the competitive advantage to having any number of 900s flown by ultra-senior Mesaba lifers? No matter how concessionary the contract is, Gojets and the like can fly the airplane for less than the cost of just your captain. Why would Delta want that?

Notice how the company is not even bargaining with the employees? "Rethinking our business plan" my a$$. The plan is set and there is only one outcome. The math is clear.
This.

Any decisions regarding Pinnacle will be made from an office in Atlanta. Whatever is in Memphis is merely a puppet show.

I couldn't agree more. I don't know how this place is still operating right now to be honest. It is definetly teetering.

Serious question:

While I agree that Pinnacle will not survive long term, I don't think a liquidation is going to happen. I'm sure Delta would love to see 1000+ flights a day cancelled over that (NOT)!! There is no way Delta could move the planes to any other carrier quick enough to avoid the MASSIVE losses and negative PR that would result from an overnight liquidation (ch 7).

Bri, that rant was at least as long and to the point as any of mine. Welcome to the club. I think with the expected parking of pinnacles 200's the loss of 41 900's is too much to stomach for delta. Sure they have to absorb the 200 loss as per their pilot contract but even transferring those 41 to another carrier would mean planes sitting while training occurred. I think go jets or any other carrier would be hard pressed to grow that quickly. I think the reason not to give ATP's to FO's is they will be furloughed before they need to meet the requirement. And yes I agree all decisions are made in ATL not MEM.

I usually don't care about the pinnacle bashing becuase most of it is true. I will tell you however that the Check Airmen at pinnacle have been working their butts off for years and keeping this airline running. For the most part you will only find one or two that suck. Most people when they fail, the come unprepared. Im not going to say that pinnacle has better training than mesaba but i will say that whatever you hear about pinnacle check airman is false.

But what is stopping delta from using the Mesaba certificate or the old NWA one and starting a Song type carrier? I think they need to use the 76 seat planes from the delta contract as negotiating capital to rid themselves of 200's at ASA or Skywest. But to create a new company like NWA did with compass so everyone is year 1 pay?

I usually don't care about the pinnacle bashing becuase most of it is true. I will tell you however that the Check Airmen at pinnacle have been working their butts off for years and keeping this airline running. For the most part you will only find one or two that suck. Most people when they fail, the come unprepared. Im not going to say that pinnacle has better training than mesaba but i will say that whatever you hear about pinnacle check airman is false.

Okay, I don't have names, but here is a list of bs I have heard recently.

Failed fed ride items, some together and some seperate:
Taxiing too slow, slowed too early on approach, "can't dip a wing on xwind", fly over uncontrolled field at 500 above pattern before entering pattern, power at 45% on approach...

Things in oe that are bs (not just from Mesaba pilots, new hire as well):
Black out both mfd and pfd hand fly arrival on isis, try to overwhelm "student" by making him fly and work radios, timing briefing or fms setup, hand fly everything below 10k on first day of oe for new hire, easter egg hunt checkrides, fms fail on gear up during pc...

Here's a beauty from someone I just talked to. He was given a talking to because he turned the ice protection on too early, then he got a talking to from another because it was too late. The best part is they are both wrong. The answer is WHO GIVES A CRAP? Just turn it on.

All bs checkairman crap. If one does it, you have to be prepared for all of them to do it.

Latest resources

Back