Delta blown tire in BOS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

capt_zman

Beautiful touchdown on 4R, PF checks the brakes on rollout, applies reversers, rollout is going well, then all of the sudden, the brakes lockup (I'm assuming) to make the 33R intersection. Plane actually starts hopping down the runway. Pax are treated to the beautiful smell of burnt rubber and plane leaning to the starboard side. Capt comes over speaker before the gate and says we have a brake smoking and that we need to have the fire personnel check it out before parking. All is well, but one of the right mains is blown.

This got me to thinking about longer runways and landing performance. I've flown with many who apply max reverse and just about max braking to make the shorter landing distances and I've flown with many who apply smooth reverse and smooth braking and use the available runway (considering long runways, not short). What is everyone's SOP on this. I'm one of the guys who believes in making it as smooth as possible and don't mind turning off at the last 1/3 of a runway (traffic permitting).

Just wondering, because the Delta flight today had another high speed turnoff about another 500-1000 ft down the runway, and it seems as if this was completely avoidable.

Z-

As long as the conditions allow, smoothness and pax comfort is numero uno. If you use a little more runway, who cares?

Flying Illini said:
As long as the conditions allow, smoothness and pax comfort is numero uno. If you use a little more runway, who cares?
I ditto this. But it seems there are plenty of people who feel that landing smooth is "wrong" (even when in the TDZE) and you need to make certain turnoffs. Landing smooth (in the touchdown zone mind you) and letting it roll a little farther so as not to jerk the people around in back is how I'd prefer it...

On a similar note, I don't know how many good landing are ruined when somebody touches the brakes on the ATR-72. Nice job France!!!!

Some pilots seem to forget that most anti-skid systems will disengage below a certain speed, since for a maximum effort stop, a locked wheel is best at slow speeds. It's around 30 knots for most systems.

Trouble with that is, if the pilot is using heavy braking trying to make the turnoff, and forgets to let up as he slows to taxi speed- presto- locked wheel.

Look at all the solid black skid marks you see curving from the runway onto turnoffs and you'll see what I mean.

Pay by the minute...

Why would a Delta pilot want to shorten his block to block time?

Actually most anti-skid systems disengage at 10 knots, and this is to allow you to actually be able to PARK the aircraft.

Obviously some malfunction on the DL aircraft....you shouldn't be able to blow tires with antiskid functioning properly. You can heat em up and the fuse plugs will go, but thats normally after the plane sits for a while.

I used to try to save the brakes on the LR60 and use the reverse mostly until the day when the reversers stowed all by themselves at 120knots. That was great fun as we were suddenly LAUNCHED down the runway....

Ah....Lears....gotta love em.

Friends don't let friends fly charter.

EagleRJ said:
Some pilots seem to forget that most anti-skid systems will disengage below a certain speed, since for a maximum effort stop, a locked wheel is best at slow speeds. It's around 30 knots for most systems.

Trouble with that is, if the pilot is using heavy braking trying to make the turnoff, and forgets to let up as he slows to taxi speed- presto- locked wheel.

Look at all the solid black skid marks you see curving from the runway onto turnoffs and you'll see what I mean.
There's something f'd up about the ATR's anti-lock brake system. I believe it works until 17 knots, but these wheels lock up well above that.

Just an observation since the passengers just think we drive like **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** on the ground after landing. Even I lunge forward at times, and I'm always ready for it.

I must confess that I just love hitting breakes on Pipers really hard, so I can scare the crap outta my CFI.... gotta love it when your CFI is scared and screaming 'my controls'.....

If you have the runway to burn, feel free to use it to make a nice smooth landing.

In the light cessnas, it is possible to lose one brake and not the other. This proves interesting if you are going 60kts down the runway. Please take notice KE093 :)

Latest resources

Back