• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta attendance policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A few people have told me to complain about it. But it's not my style PLUS it's impossible to prove. Your word against them.

Sucks cause like someone says, the interview is/should be about "can I fly a 4 day trip with this guy"? - Passed all the tests, paid my dues to get to that level, help out in Safety Dept. and live locally. Would have been a hell of an asset and employee.

When you have a bunch of recs from DAL guys who are good guys you have to wonder what gives?
Still stings that I got turned down but as one of my buddies said... screw them, they lost out.

I know what I have to offer and now I'll do all I can to make sure my current employeer remains on top.

Always
motch

PS> What's the current rate of hired/interviewed. In my group it was 4 out of 8. And the day before it was 3 out of 8.

A few people have told me to complain about it. But it's not my style PLUS it's impossible to prove. Your word against them.

Sucks cause like someone says, the interview is/should be about "can I fly a 4 day trip with this guy"? - Passed all the tests, paid my dues to get to that level, help out in Safety Dept. and live locally. Would have been a hell of an asset and employee.

When you have a bunch of recs from DAL guys who are good guys you have to wonder what gives?
Still stings that I got turned down but as one of my buddies said... screw them, they lost out.

I know what I have to offer and now I'll do all I can to make sure my current employeer remains on top.

Always
motch

PS> What's the current rate of hired/interviewed. In my group it was 4 out of 8. And the day before it was 3 out of 8.

The only thing that matters is you are happy where you are at. In this industry not many guys are really happy with where they are at so you are set. As far as the ratio, not sure. I know they are upping it to 12 per day for interviews and 50 per class starting in March. They may be upping it to 12 so they can get 7 per day, who knows.

Not at all. Minorities were successful in the 90s of challenging UAL for discrimination. UAL was forced to change their hiring practices as a result. If an airline is discriminating against military pilots, then someone needs to hold them accountable.

Not sure, but if people start going there then Delta will do what CAL does and hire very few military guys so they just don't have to deal with it. CAL saves tons of money by hiring guys who won't go out for half the month on mil leave. I don't think its right, but I understand why they do it. Delta is just trying to figure out who is gonna work for them and not use the system to get extra time off via mil leave or sickation.

Walk a mile in a reservist's shoes (2 airplanes to remember, 2 headaches, 2 schedules to manage, 2 bosses, sometimes even 2 commutes) and you would be singing a different tune. That 17 days off a month that you may enjoy, frequently goes down to 8-10 in my world (for example) when I give that off time back to the Navy.

While I have no doubt that there are those that abuse the system, you can rest assured that when MOST reservists say they are drilling ... they are. Especially in today's times with today's pay. We need the money.

Sorry for the rant, and for the hijack. I am pretty sure no prospective employer can legally ask such leading questions about your military service in an interview.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, he 110% honest about your attendance history.

A buddy of mine in training at DAL watched his friend get fired this week for his attendance at his former airline.

Apparently, he called in sick once in the past year. But in addition to that he took med leave for a shoulder surgery, which was approved by his CP. Well, DAL mgmt felt the surgery was an additional sick call, despite his using the med-leave part of his airline's contract.

DAL fired him in about 2 seconds. They didn't care to hear the explanation of the surgery.

I told him to get a lawyer. Still, he's out of a job in the meantime and lost his gig at his former airline. Some of these mgmt types are downright heartless.

At my DAL interview I got asked...

1) Why I had my last flight listed as a C5 flight? (am in the NYANG and had flown an airshow the previous weekend)

2) How come I flew so much with the Guard? (explained that I did it on my days off) (also had a letter from my boss stating how I did mil duty on my own time, very rarely did it on company time and even then I tried to make it up on days off!)

3) Got asked WHEN AM I LEAVING THE GUARD!
(Showed them my letter of 20 years service and that my enlistment was over in 2009)

4) How many times I was available to be junior manned. (Stated than I rarely accepted a junior manning assignment because I lived in NYC but was based in RIC. Those assignments were usually last minute deals that I couldn't accept.)

5) Why I had a 3 2-month breaks in flying these past 5 years. (one was a 2 month activation, the other 2 were due to a knee injury and a follow up surgery for said knee)

6) What my salary was at a CFI job back in the 90's.. and how I was able to survive on that! (told them I though it was X$ an hour and survived cause I did some guard duty on weekends and watched my budget!)

7) Why and if I gave 2 week notice when I left DAL in 95. (I did and I left to get my ratings and start flying full time along with looking for a full time job with health benefits. I was part time doing 30 hours a week with no benefits at DAL)

Needless to say.. didn't get hired.
Still not sure why and was told I can never re-apply! Funny thing is, was told I passed all the tests, but failed the interview. LOL
And I worked for DAL back in the 90's for a few years.. in ops and the Chief Pilots office.

Suffice it to say, there's no rhyme or reason why one person get's hired and another one doesn't. Just remember.. they are not your friends at the interview. NEVER let your guard down. Kinda like management!~

Have alot of friends there, and also know of a few new hires recently... it is what it is. Probably still a great time to get on with them.
I got on with the competition across the river, flying similar equipment overseas. And Happy I Did!!!

Good Luck
motch

Sorry to hear about your luck. Try applying at CAL, we're still hiring. Not the best place but not a bad place to be either and our contract will soon be fixed (regardless of a merger) to put us out in front.

I wanted to tell you, I find their military service questioning suspect. I think you might have a good case against DAL for showing some bias about your MIL svc.

I am not a military man so I am not driving an agenda here but I get sick and tired of all the airlines out there bucking the limit of the law for our men and women in uniform. Your service to our country should be celebrated, not cross-examined.

I think y'all have a case to force these airlines not to discriminate against you for serving.

So DAL will not hire a US Armed forces pilot but they'll hire a foreigner with a green card. Something's wrong here.

WmW..
I did get hired by CAL after the DAL debacle. And am loving it here.

It's sad to hear that DAL would fire a pilot after hiring them without giving the pilot a fair chance to explain. During my interview, I was questioned about the periods (a few months) where I didn't have flight time in my log book. The initial injury to my knee where I was off line for 6 weeks, and another period of 5 weeks when I had the surgery to repair the damage. It was elective surgery and I told them that, that I figured it was better to do it now (at the time) cause our flying schedule would not be affect by me going on Med Leave for a month. I also explained how I did my recurrent training and some mil training in this period so that when I was back on line, there would not be any training requirements that would pull me off line again.

As far as the Mil questions and bias is concerned, I have to add that I have a friend from my Guard unit that DID get hired at DAL after I was turned down. Hard to claim mil discrimination when that happens.

Who knows, maybe I just got a couple of tools who didn't like mil guys. Or they didn't like my tie!
Either way, I'm at a good airline with a good future and will just move on and look forward.

I will say, firing someone while in training is not a good thing. Have to wonder about their hiring practice. If he was good enough to be initially hired, and had not done anything wrong.. why fire him! And if they are going to fire people for something like what you described.. what are they going to do to you when you miss commute, or call in sick a few times. Kinda scary.

If and when I run into DAL pilots, I'll gladly shoot the ******************** with them. No hard feelings there, they did me no wrong. Now the HR and hiring people.. thats another story. LOL

Fly Safe

Whatever you do, he 110% honest about your attendance history.

A buddy of mine in training at DAL watched his friend get fired this week for his attendance at his former airline.

Apparently, he called in sick once in the past year. But in addition to that he took med leave for a shoulder surgery, which was approved by his CP. Well, DAL mgmt felt the surgery was an additional sick call, despite his using the med-leave part of his airline's contract.

DAL fired him in about 2 seconds. They didn't care to hear the explanation of the surgery.

I told him to get a lawyer. Still, he's out of a job in the meantime and lost his gig at his former airline. Some of these mgmt types are downright heartless.
If this is even remotely accurate, then I hope he sues them right back into bankruptcy.

Latest resources

Back