Delta and United news

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Buckaroo,

Your comments are unprofessional, unkind, and unwarranted. I hope that you are fortunate enough to never face Ch. 11 where you work. Stating your opinion backed by facts is fine. Just don't be a total tool about it.

CR

Buckaroo said:
No, it's the definition of Delta Air Lines

That's an idiotic response. Based on what information - just your gut feeling?

Delta still has a strong cash position, a good brand name known worldwide, improving operational results (pre fuel costs) after several cost cutting initiatives and it has very lucrative international routes. Why not take advantage of the Chapter 11 process to restructure debt (to less onerous interest expense terms - that directly impacts profits) and cancel some aircraft leases if possible (maybe cancel some MD88/90, MD-11 and 737-200/300 leases).

The goals of bankruptcy would be to:

1. Reduce debt expense and extend loan terms (restructure debt)
2. Simplify fleet types (do you need 10+ types of aircraft? Nope)
3. Possibly revisit employee wages (let's hope not but it is possible)
4. Reduce vendor payments (look for outliers with above-average industry contracts)

Unfortunately, the attorneys and bankers would be the big short-term winners in this case because Chap. 11 can be super expensive. I should have gone to Law School and become a Bankruptcy Attorney - I'd BE RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What nobody is considering is how difficult the Chap. 11 rules will become after September - they will change drastically and that is why you are seeing many more bankruptcies than normal across industries. Delta needs to take the plunge now - it has a great franchise and strong routes. It just needs to clean house and restructure its vendor contracts (let's hope not labor contracts too much) to adjust to the changing industry conditions. That's my $0.02.

Last edited:
To my Delta buds..

Welcome to the Chap 11 thrill ride, put them seat belts on really tight!

Soon all the Delta "Wannabe's" will be coming out from under the rock they were hiding under and take pot shots at you....

Example:

"I am glad Delta is going out of business, I am sooo happy here at ASA! Soon I will be an CRJ captain and I will not have to answer questions from my neighbor why I do not fly the B777."

"I am glad I never applied to Delta, Airtran was my first choice"

"I knew all along Delta was in trouble, I decided to stay put here at Mesa so I can retire with my 401K."

When will old Ty chime in about how he was so smart to work at Airtran?

On Your Six said:
Delta needs to take the plunge now - it has a great franchise and strong routes.

Actually, one of DL's greatest weaknesses is its route structure. DL is largely a one-trick pony with Atlanta being the only real revenue producer. Look at the rest of DL's major operations:

CVG - a low-volume hub, with lots of high-cost planes transferring a bunch of low-yield connecting traffic

SLC - see CVG

Florida - lots of low-yield tourists and way too much competition.

JFK - too much competition both domestically (JetBlue) and internationally (foreign flag carriers). Other than a handful of international routes, JFK is a big loser for DL.

BOS - a very fragmented market where no airline has more than about a 25% marketshare...the end result being no one makes money except the LCC's and a few niche players

Compare this to CO which has two superhubs (EWR/IAH) and AA which has a multitude of powerful hubs (DFW, ORD, MIA, plus major gateways at LAX/JFK).

A merger might just be the best way of saving DL. The only problem is that I don't think anyone is really interested in merging with DL.

FutureTED -
Get real. UAL has been in BK for 3 years, and just keeps on extending out their restructuring plan. They will be CH7 within 1 year IMHO.

It's time for the dinosaurs to die off in dignity while they still can.

"A merger might just be the best way of saving DL. The only problem is that I don't think anyone is really interested in merging with DL."

Good point. That's just another reason why this pig is toast.

Buckaroo said:
" The only problem is that I don't think anyone is really interested in merging with DL."

QUOTE]

If someone is interested in throwing in with USAir, they'll throw in with anybody.

To my Delta buds..

Welcome to the Chap 11 thrill ride, put them seat belts on really tight!

Soon all the Delta "Wannabe's" will be coming out from under the rock they were hiding under and take pot shots at you....

Example:

"I am glad Delta is going out of business, I am sooo happy here at ASA! Soon I will be an CRJ captain and I will not have to answer questions from my neighbor why I do not fly the B777."

Maybe he'll get the chance to fly a 777 in DAL bankruptcy?

"I am glad I never applied to Delta, Airtran was my first choice"

Maybe it was?
"I knew all along Delta was in trouble, I decided to stay put here at Mesa so I can retire with my 401K."

At least he'll have a retirement!

When will old Ty chime in about how he was so smart to work at Airtran?

Maybe he's really as smart as he thinks he is!

Buckaroo said:
"A merger might just be the best way of saving DL. The only problem is that I don't think anyone is really interested in merging with DL."

Good point. That's just another reason why this pig is toast.

Just like Continental was a couple times back in the eighties. You are a freakazoid. Peace out.

Latest resources

Back