Delta and DFW---the possibilities

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
28 Gates

"The airline operates 28 gates at D/FW, comprising most of Terminal E and a satellite operation. Those gates are under "exclusive use" leases, meaning the airport couldn't shift another airline into the space unless Delta agrees. Bankruptcy proceedings could prolong that process."

You bet your butt they aren't going to give up those gates. AirTran and Jetblue would be in there in the blink of an eye to scoup them up. Since they can protect the gates in BK, they will hold on to them until they emerge. As a focus city, they will probably hold on to 10-15 gates.

Lowecur,

Thank you for already putting us in Chap 11. We are so happy to have you as a "well wisher."

Also, have you been to our DFW terminal? Mainline has about 7-8 gates, and all the rest go to RJs. We even have a "satelite" terminal there we call "Gilligan's Island". Delta left DFW a few years ago in reality.

Bye Bye--General Lee

It's sad looking

I agree it's very sad looking at TERMINAL E remembering what Delta used to look like in DFW compared to what it looks like now.

Gilligan's Island is completely packed with RJs and now the RJs are stacked up with about three RJs all along most of the main terminal E gates.

Where o' Where have all the MAINLINE JETS gone:(

Jet

Last edited:
Jet,

In reality, it is all from the domino effect. We took 36 mainline 757s from the mainline system and placed them at Song. That really took a huge toll on our Mainline operation. Then, our remaining 738s had to take over some of those old 757 routes, and MD88s had to take over some 738 routes, and our 737-300s had to take over some MD-88 or MD-90 routes (which made us leave Montana out of SLC---giving it to Skywest), and the 737-200s that used to fly at Delta Express were thrown back into Mainline to pick up some scrap routes. That left CR7s to pick up a lot of older 737-200/727/MD-90 routes out of DFW. And, after leaving DFW to CR7s, it will probably close or reduce flights significantly.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I don't see what the problem is with airlines making money.

Why don't we just raise the current ticket prices on routes like SBA to LGA to approximately 2 weeks pay like in that AA photo:

AROUND $4,500.00-5,000.00+!

I don't see why that would be too difficult to do. Just raise their prices to comparable 1951 rates and they'd be making a profit in no time. We could put to rest all these mumbo jumbo talks of Chapter 11. I should get paid $8 million a year as an airline CEO to come up with these ideas;)

Jet

General Lee said:
Lowecur,

Thank you for already putting us in Chap 11. We are so happy to have you as a "well wisher." Come on GL, you know my position. I wish the airline well. We just differ on how it's going to get there.

Also, have you been to our DFW terminal? Mainline has about 7-8 gates, and all the rest go to RJs. We even have a "satelite" terminal there we call "Gilligan's Island". Delta left DFW a few years ago in reality. The only visit I've had to DFW was changing planes with AMR. In looking at the website, I see Gilligan's Island has 9 gates. This should leave you with 19 mainline gates, even if most are used by the RJ's.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
robbing peter to pay paul equals the same amount

general,

even if you took the 757s and painted them, those assets were redeployed presumably in a way as to maximize revenue. having said that, is it not the case? were those assets better utilized on some of these unprofitable routes?

why not unload the regionals and bid all your regional flying out? that is the way of the world even if it sux for pilots. we all are in this new LCC model of operating.

finally, i cannot see under any circumstances no matter what industry you're in, to continue to do something( i.e. fly unprofitable routes) that doesn't work.

the 10 billion dollar question is: the new smaller , more profitable delta will require "X" from the pilots to work?

General Lee said:
Jetflyer,

I never said that RJs were the total problem---there are a lot of markets that they can try that will probably make money. (Like the newly announced Naples, FL to ATL run---see my other post in Regionals) But, when you go up against mainline sized aircraft (AA in DFW) or LCCs with lower fares (Airtran in ATL and DFW)--it is tough to compete with 50 or 70 seats. DFW has CHOICES when it comes to air travel---and guys like that businessman choose COMFORT. Some people don't care, but some that fly once a week (like that guy) DO CARE. We need passengers that want to fly on us ONCE A WEEK or more.

Bye Bye--General Lee

One pax's opion does not mean "pax don't like the RJ". I have two neighbors that travel weekly. One is a Kroger Eng. and the other a computer , uh, well, not sure what he reallt does though he has explained it, any way, they both love the RJ. They can't travel 1st class much any more and they both say the RJ is lots better than most coach class cabins they have traveled in. They also like the fact that there are no middle seats.

Last November, American cut its money-losing St. Louis schedule in half, substituted regional jets for larger "mainline" aircraft and changed the schedule to target local traffic instead of connecting passengers. The carrier has been pleased with the results, which have turned the hub profitable.
Darn RJs

Latest resources

Back