• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and DFW---the possibilities

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know about 04, but in Q403 DFW was DAL's only profitable hub. That was what led to the changes at SLC. DFW may close as a DFW pilot base, but will still remain a presence for DAL as an ASA base and a large operation for ML.

General Lee said:
Jet,

In reality, it is all from the domino effect. We took 36 mainline 757s from the mainline system and placed them at Song. That really took a huge toll on our Mainline operation.
Bye Bye--General Lee

What???

I thought Song was the end all be all profitable operation according to most of your posts....

So Song is not more than making up for taking this "huge toll" on the network?
Maybe this is why Grinstein is calling it the Swan Song....?

8vate,

Did I ever say that Song was a bad thing? Nope. We just didn't NEED a huge hit on our mainline system. It is too bad we could not have found more used 757s to fill in the gaps. (like the AA 757s that are ex TWA birds currently sitting in the desert with different engines (Pratts vs Rolls)) We parked too many airplanes. The MD-11s did NOT have to be parked, for example, after the Gulf War 2, and our VP of Marketing at the time even admitted "we left money on the table."

As far as Song goes, apparently that "Swan" comment was taken out of context--it originated early on when Grinstein became CEO. If you re-read the Wall ST. Journal article, it states that due to Song's strong financials as of late, it has won time to prove itself. Song is a great product and we are full---I fly those flights all of the time. As far as the fares on Song, I don't really know or control that. The passengers love it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

general,

you say the song planes are full. that's great! but earlier you said that part of the problem was delta redeployed the 757s which meant 738s had to their routes and mds had to do the 738s. again, a paint job does not a different airline make.

why not redeploy more of the on routes where they'll fly full like song. and quit flying money losers which have burning through 4 million a day?

Last November, American cut its money-losing St. Louis schedule in half, substituted regional jets for larger "mainline" aircraft and changed the schedule to target local traffic instead of connecting passengers. The carrier has been pleased with the results, which have turned the hub profitable.
Where did AMR release this information? The only financial information I've seen regarding regional performance was that they generated 505M revenue and 517M operating expenses in the 2nd Qtr 10Q.

Latest resources

Back