• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta is going to phase out the 737-200s, 737-300s, 767-200s, MD-88s and MD-90s. That leaves us with the 737-NG, 757, 767-300/400 & 777...all 8 of them. I thought I heard somewhere that they wanted 787s eventually, but who knows.

ToiletDuck said:
I don't fully understand the spread of the planes. I don't see why they'd get a 757 at all. Seems like they would just stick with the 767 no? Which one is the 787 trying to replace?

What's difficult about understanding a need for different aircraft. A domestic 757 carries about 185 pax and burns about 6500 pph. A domestic 767-300 carries about 250 pax and burns about 9000 pph. Common type, but that's about it. Why does SWA have different models of 737s? Different aircraft for different missions. Why fly a 767 to where the market doesn't warrant the capacity.

I think the idea with the 787 is to replace the 757 and 767. If memory serves, the 787 has a few variants (same type) that can accomodate different markets and stage lengths...similar to the different 737 models.

This is just speculation, but in the future (if Delta's still around in a similar form), Delta wants to have 737 NGs, 787 types and 777s. They really want to get to a single type rating for all Delta aircraft, but who knows if/when that will happen.

snow-back said:
What's difficult about understanding a need for different aircraft. A domestic 757 carries about 185 pax and burns about 6500 pph. A domestic 767-300 carries about 250 pax and burns about 9000 pph. Common type, but that's about it. Why does SWA have different models of 737s? Different aircraft for different missions. Why fly a 767 to where the market doesn't warrant the capacity.

I think the idea with the 787 is to replace the 757 and 767. If memory serves, the 787 has a few variants (same type) that can accomodate different markets and stage lengths...similar to the different 737 models.

This is just speculation, but in the future (if Delta's still around in a similar form), Delta wants to have 737 NGs, 787 types and 777s. They really want to get to a single type rating for all Delta aircraft, but who knows if/when that will happen.

That sounds like a pretty much dead on analysis, snow-back.

We don't even have a delivery scheduled for the next year or two, let alone the ability or wherewithal to order new aircraft. But the smart plan would be to use the 737-700/800/900 to cover the 120-199 seat capacity markets, the 787 to cover the 200-280(ish) market and the 777 for the higher capacity long haul stuff. Maybe some 777-300's someday for the NRTs, CDGs & FRAs of the world to get top range capacity up close to 400.

That's one of the big features of the 787 that Boeing is pushing is that a US carrier can effectively remove both the 757 & 767's from their fleet and only add one aircraft to replace it. The fact that they share a common cockpit is a cost advantage but there's not much commonality beyond that.

Of course first we have to stave off and/or enter bankruptcy and manage to survive it too............

tuna pimp said:
Of course first we have to stave off and/or enter bankruptcy and manage to survive it too............

Keeping my fingers crossed and resume/logbook up to date. Sigh.

Foxcow said:
Does anyone know if the 767-400 is the same type rating as the -300? I dont think it is.

Same type rating with differences training. Delta flys them as seperate categories, but I think Continental flies them in a single category. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Latest resources

Back