• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta 3rd Quarter profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Careful, FDJ2, you're starting to sound a little like Fubi and OYS. Trust me--you don't want that.

Thanks for your concern, but I personally am not concerned one little bit that "SWA posted a loss in the third quarter, a traditionally profitable quarter." Not in the slightest. You guys have turned this thread (and the sister thread about "the end of SWA" started by one of the biggest knuckleheads on the forum) into a glee-fest about SWA "losing money." Newsflash--we didn't lose any money in the third quarter. Not a dime. In fact we made lots of money flying airplanes, and the fourth quarter looks strong as well.

The "loss" some of you guys gloat over is the result of financial reporting rules. Tell you what--I'll explain it to you the way I explained it to my nephew. Let's say you buy a Rembrandt painting for $1M. We'll say that's what it's worth. Next quarter it's worth $800k on the market. With these rules you'd be required to post a $200k loss, even though you still have the painting and haven't actually "lost" anything. The following quarter, let's say it's worth $1M again. That quarter, you'd post a profit of $200k. However, you still have the asset, and you've nether "made" nor "lost" a single penny until you actually sell the damn thing. Make sense? That's the deal with fuel hedges. The hedges that "lost" money in Q3 (ironically, due to fuel prices decreasing), have already "gained" again (due to oil prices on the rise), and regardless, we still have them (they're longer term), so we haven't actually "gained" or "lost" a damned thing yet.

That's why no one who knows the first thing about money was bothered by this "loss." Because it wasn't a real loss. Despite some FI pundits shouting to the contrary, its means diddly-dick to the actual health and prospects of the company. Less than diddly-dick, actually. Nobody cares. I don't care (because my profit sharing is based only on operating profits, so -I- made extra money in Q3), the company doesn't care, the board doesn't care, and more importantly, Wall Street doesn't care. Wall Street was actually happy that we beat expectations on profit flying planes.

The only people who seem to care are the trolls who like to harp on forums like this, so they have another way to rag on SWA. Well, knock yourselves out... but please realize that people who know about how the real financial world works, know that you're just blowing smoke.

Delta made money flying airplanes this quarter (and year, for that matter). Good for you. I hope you keep it up. However, SWA also made money flying airplanes for the quarter (as usual). Good for us. If a "loss" on fuel hedge fluctuations is the best SWA haters can come up with to rag on us about, than I'd say we're doing pretty good.

Bubba

The reason some of us care on here is because of the complete lack of respect that some of you give YOUR OWN new family members, and the incredibly cocky attitude that consistantly comes with it. Yes, you all are paid very well for the moment, but you fly old 737s around Texas. Your benefits package is wonderful right now, but your attitude about seeming invincible will inevitably bring you down. You may be one of the calmer ones, with some reason, but most of the SWA guys on here are not. It's ok to have pride in your company, and some bragging is good too, but all out nastiness towards your new members is horrible, and what is happening over there is still unbelievable to many on this board. Management siding with one side on a SLI? The whole merger could be the subject of a bad Tuesday night movie on TBS. That will be hard to repair, and the continuing slamming of them on these boards really won't help. That needs to stop. Most of this is aimed at those people, so if you aren't one, then don't take it so personally. They need to tone it down, especially with respect to their new family members.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Gen - you ve been hating on swa long before air tran came into play- don't pretend it's got anything to do with it.

Gen - you ve been hating on swa long before air tran came into play- don't pretend it's got anything to do with it.
Yes, I agree. There are lots of things that are great about where the LUV guys sit. But, they have only a 401k. We ALL need to start working at making this profession a better one. I can sharpshoot the LUV contract all day, though we need as a group to make things better for all of us. GL knock it off! I was in CDG last week followed by a domestic SMF layover. I'll take the SMF layover with 24 hours over the CDG death march to the hotel, wait for rooms for an hour! Oh, and don't forget about the ride back to CDG and sit for 45 minutes in the bus waiting to go through the SPECIAL employee security. Flying international is great, but look at the bus rides in places like SVO FCO GRU.

All the anti-SWA and anti-DAL postings kill me. I'm a proud DAL guy, enjoy flying international, and am cautiously optimistic about the future.

SWA is a great airline with a great pilot group as well. I hope both airlines make piles of $$ for decades to come and remain great places to work in the process. One group's success shouldn't somehow be seen as therefore resulting in the other group's failure.

All the anti-SWA and anti-DAL postings kill me. I'm a proud DAL guy, enjoy flying international, and am cautiously optimistic about the future.

SWA is a great airline with a great pilot group as well. I hope both airlines make piles of $$ for decades to come and remain great places to work in the process. One group's success shouldn't somehow be seen as therefore resulting in the other group's failure.

Good to see a mature post. I agree and I'm sick of all the bashing, particularly DAL vs. SWA. Personally, I think SWA coming to ATL is the best thing that can happen to DAL because it will force management to step up their game. DAL has had the luxury of a near monopoly for too long, and we've gotten lazy. This will make us a better, stronger airline!

Delta pilot runs to the SWA gate to grap a jumpseat. It's push time but the agent held the plane a minute and got him on. They close the a/c door right behind him as he gets on. He quickly checks in with cockpit and the SWA pilots tell him they are glad to help him out and to grab a seat. F/A tells him there's a seat available in the exit row and they start their pushback right after the Delta pilot gets in the exit row seat.

How does this schmuck repay SWA's kindness? He writes a letter to the FAA telling them he didn't get an "exit row briefing" from the F/A. The F/A nearly gets fired over it.

It's amazing the BS that gets spread by some in this business. Guaranty this is made up by someone feeling overly competitive with SWA's new move into ATL.

Yes, I agree. There are lots of things that are great about where the LUV guys sit. But, they have only a 401k. We ALL need to start working at making this profession a better one. I can sharpshoot the LUV contract all day, though we need as a group to make things better for all of us. GL knock it off! I was in CDG last week followed by a domestic SMF layover. I'll take the SMF layover with 24 hours over the CDG death march to the hotel, wait for rooms for an hour! Oh, and don't forget about the ride back to CDG and sit for 45 minutes in the bus waiting to go through the SPECIAL employee security. Flying international is great, but look at the bus rides in places like SVO FCO GRU.

No, you knock it off. These SWA guys on FI have been VERY HARSH to their future co-workers, and maybe you can't see that. They do have a nice contract currently, but that may not always be the case if they can't get profitable during normally profitable quarters.

And the CDG trip is great, it's a very easy arrival from plane to the hotel, and crew only security on the way back to the plane. I haven't waited more than 15 minutes for a room for a long time. After a 3 hour nap I am ready to go to see the sights and eat great food. And if you don't like bus rides into SVO, FCO, and GRU, don't bid them. Do you like bus rides into Manhattan or downtown LA? Maybe you should look at only short layovers on smaller trips?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back