Delta 3rd Quarter profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is kind of ironic. They make a record breaking 3rd quarter profit:

The company's third-quarter net income was $549 million or $0.65 per share, up from $363 million or $0.43 per share in the year-ago period.

And the stock is down 5%.

Maybe I'm just too smart for Wall St. I thought this would be a good thing?:confused:

Maybe it's because: As of September 30, Delta's adjusted net debt was $14.0 billion. It's going to take successive quarters like this to bring that debt down. Delta said they are still on goal to reduce their overall debt to 10 Billion by 2013. I think Wall St disagrees as they did not meet expectations....

Delta has a debt/equity ratio of 18.59

SWA has a debt/equity ratio of 0.59

It would take 24 successive 500mil+ quarters for Delta to get to the financial stability that SWA has. Why do some of you think Delta is doing better? They currently have 14 BILLION dollars of debt, and that's after their posted profit.

Delta has a debt/equity ratio of 18.59

SWA has a debt/equity ratio of 0.59

It would take 24 successive 500mil+ quarters for Delta to get to the financial stability that SWA has. Why do some of you think Delta is doing better? They currently have 14 BILLION dollars of debt, and that's after their posted profit.

Debt reduction is going very well, and DL is on track (according to the conference call) to get it down to $10 billion by 2013, which will save $500 million per year in interest payments. Last year alone $2 billion was paid down, and $700 million in Q2 alone this year. That's really good. If DL made over $1 billion last year in net profits AND paid down $2 billion in debt, that means this thing is making a lot of money, and $952 million in bag fees helps. After knowing this, do you still think DL isn't doing well? You guys couldn't get a profit in the best quarter of the year.

Godspeed!

OYS

Maybe it's because: As of September 30, Delta's adjusted net debt was $14.0 billion. It's going to take successive quarters like this to bring that debt down. Delta said they are still on goal to reduce their overall debt to 10 Billion by 2013. I think Wall St disagrees as they did not meet expectations....

Delta made 91 cents in earnings per share, when Wall St expected 93 cents. How did SWA do? If you add the $950 million in just bag fees per year, does that help? Thanks Jim Kramer....

Godspeed!

OYS

Delta made 91 cents in earnings per share, when Wall St expected 93 cents. How did SWA do? If you add the $950 million in just bag fees per year, does that help? Thanks Jim Kramer....

Godspeed!

OYS

Why do you bring up SWA? I never mentioned anything about SWA in my post - do you have an inferiority complex or something?

My response was in reply to someone who didn't understand why the stock dropped after a record quarter - it was because the company did not meet expected goals. One quarter's profits only tell a fraction of the story....and that's true for any company or airline. To look at an overall health of any airline, you need to read the whole balance sheet, but I am pretty sure you already knew that....and while Delta may state they are on target to reduce to 10 BILLION in debt by 2013 - falling short of expected goals creates dubious minds.

Why do some of you think Delta is doing better?
Maybe because Delta is posting a profit and SWA is posting a loss in the best quarter of the year.

I hear what you are saying about debt, but Delta is still posting a profit despite paying interest on that debt and Delta is paying down that debt, which will reduce interest payments and increase profits going forward. Meanwhile, despite not having much debt, SWA is losing money and struggling with a merger.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I just stumbled upon this article on my yahoo homepage a few minutes ago. Thought it had some interesting points. I think it is a bit of a stretch trying to connect the dots though.

Is Delta hiding weakness

Last edited:
Your focusing on a grain of sand on the beach with one quarter of lower profits for this quarter..its a marathon, not sprint.

Put it against the backdrop of 40yrs of year over year profit and the debit to equity ratio becomes painfully important.

Low debt will always win out in the long run. Disagree?

Latest resources

Back