• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delay of the Age 65 Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Age 60=bad law. Age 65= good law? (You're going straight after 70, aren't you?) By your own admission, really, both are bad laws. One just happens to augment your wallet. What you are REALLY saying is: that you're too special to be saddled with ANY type of retirement requirement? In the history of powered flight, and since early man's first vocational endeavors, you're the first to walk among us too sacred an employee to be held to the terms of a normal retirement age? Wow, I guess we should all feel special that you graced us with your presence.

Both are indeed bad. Come up with an age based on facts and put it into place. Thge law will slow my advancement in seniority for many years, and I may benefit if I choose to fly past 60. Take your personal shot at me when you fully know my situation. If you cannot stomach that I simply feel that mandatory age 60 retirement is simply wrong and unjustified then I have no clue as to how to convince you otherwise. "We all knew the rules" doesn't hold water. This business and the rules that regulate it have always evolved. I have no problem complying with a normal retirement age when one is factually determined.

You say you took the challenge, but all you did was relive some memories and forget why you started your post. So which costs more--Being a newhire/junior dude under the old rules vs. 5 more years as FO. You can factor in how fast you dudes made Captain too.

Are you a 59 1/2 guy? Getting lost in the parking lot yet?

I can assume Chest Rockwell can't do it either since there has been no response.

Why don't you cats just tell me what you really want to say--

"Life was tougher when I was new guy. I don't care about your career progression--I want more now and I won't let you stop me."

I do feel for the guys who retired under the conditions you describe. They deserve more.

If you can come up with factual justification to put a mandatory retirement age into effect, I am fine with that. I think that the curernt rule is wrong, period. Believe what you want, but $ is not in my reasoning on this issue, although it obviously is on many on both sides.

BTW....had a guy here at SWA retire in Dec 2006 as an FO...so sad....finally had his dream job, but was forced to retire from it before he got to upgrade. Not to mention a whole host of legacy guys in the same boat....

Allow me to shed a tear for the guy that retired making a six-figure income with 18 days off, plus a military pension. He had it so rough! So much more deserving of that job than the guy who's been furloughed for the past 5+ years. [/sarcasm]

Frame the person all you want....class envy isn't going to get you anywhere. Frame the issue, and you'll have a better argument.

Frame the person all you want....class envy isn't going to get you anywhere. Frame the issue, and you'll have a better argument.

You're the one that brought this "sob story" into the debate, not me. I'm just pointing out that your example is absurd, and no one is going to have any sympathy for the guy. He retired in a better position than most pilots will, no matter what the age limit is.

Here's how I'd frame the arguement: What the he!! is this "class envy" BS?! We're all doing the same job here, right? When did this dude attain status in a class no other had claim to? When did any of you get into a "class" the rest of us won't ever see? Is that the deal? You all got hired before 01 so your in an altogether class?

Disgusting. None of us are better than another. We just got hired in a particuliar order and that is all!

Both are indeed bad. Come up with an age based on facts and put it into place. Thge law will slow my advancement in seniority for many years, and I may benefit if I choose to fly past 60. Take your personal shot at me when you fully know my situation. If you cannot stomach that I simply feel that mandatory age 60 retirement is simply wrong and unjustified then I have no clue as to how to convince you otherwise. "We all knew the rules" doesn't hold water. This business and the rules that regulate it have always evolved. I have no problem complying with a normal retirement age when one is factually determined.

Yeah, it's real hard to figure out your deal....NOT! You work for an airline where the most senior pilot really doesn't have a better schedule than the most junior. Cry me a river, but you're dipped in butter no matter how this goes so your gripe crap won't hold any water. If you had any seeds at all, you wouldn't support age 65 cause you know it's a half answer. I'd sooner support NO age limit before selling out for this five more years BS. You should as well; Any less and you have no claim to credibility. You'll just take it cause it helps you.

Yeah, it's real hard to figure out your deal....NOT! You work for an airline where the most senior pilot really doesn't have a better schedule than the most junior. Cry me a river, but you're dipped in butter no matter how this goes so your gripe crap won't hold any water. If you had any seeds at all, you wouldn't support age 65 cause you know it's a half answer. I'd sooner support NO age limit before selling out for this five more years BS. You should as well; Any less and you have no claim to credibility. You'll just take it cause it helps you.

Wow. No sense being sensibkle with you. Believe what lets you sleep at night. Make it personal rather than discuss facts. I think the current rule is wrong. Deal with it. I think 65 is a less unfair but not an ultimate answer.

Let's be honest.

If you have reached 60 years of age and you still need to work then you have really dicked up your life!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back