• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delat strands pax for five hours....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Aspen to SLC is flown by DCI ... not Delat ... or "Delta" as the article mentions.

Instead of using dirt or sod, some of them new-fangled aerodromes use a mixture of tar and macadam. You and I would use "ramp" in conversation, but non-pilots (those poor gravity-bound terrestrials!) would think we were discussing a device used by a BMX stunt cyclist or Evel Kneivel.

Yes...from my Soph College CE classes I was tought it was a very rudimentary type of road, used in the late 18/early 1900s.

Not so fast. Tarmac is short for tarmacadam. Tarmac refers to a material first patented by a guy named Hooley in 1901 in the UK. It has no military application other than the fact that it's used on numerous asphalt airport and military airfield aplications.

Hooley took John Macadam's concept for aggregate over a compacted substrate, added tar and then patented it....it was almost like getting chocolate on peanut butter - he just stumbled onto it.

A tar macadam road consists of a basic macadam road with a tar-bound surface. It appears that the first tar macadam pavement was placed outside of Nottingham (Lincoln Road) in 1848 (Hubbard, 1910; Collins and Hart, 1936). At that time, such pavements were considered suitable only for light traffic (i.e., not for urban streets). Coal tar, the binder, had been available in the U.K. from about 1800 as a residue from coal-gas lighting. Possibly this was one of the earlier efforts to recycle waste materials into a pavement!
As a side note, the term "Tarmac" was a proprietary product in the U.K. in the early 1900s (Hubbard, 1910). Actually it was a plant mixed material, but was applied to the road surface "cold." Tarmac consisted of crushed blast furnace slag coated with tar, pitch, portland cement and a resin. Today the term "tarmac" is generic and generally refers to airport pavements (however, inappropriately).

Latest resources

Back