Deicing primer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

This is my first time getting de-iced and I really had no clue on what to expect, what to watch for.
I rarely fly much in wintery locales but this weekend we took some sticky snow that froze on the CJ overnight.

They asked us what we wanted. We said fuse, wings, tail - 'especially the top of the tail' as we can't see up there. 30 gallons and 400$ later they brought it up dripping wet. We had left the engine and pitot covers on.
We preflighted, looking for fluid in the wrong places and saw no problems.

I noticed the leading edge of the wing was soaking wet with clear fluid and couldn't tell if it was deice or water so I wiped it.

On startup there was a momentary hang but before we could react it blew past it - not sure if that was deice fluid or not.

Any tips appreciated on how to order, monitor and evaluate deicing procedures.

i don't know what acft we are taliking about. in general, i would say check the Flight Manual for your particular aircraft. in ours, there are detailed instructions. also, you may need to relay those instructions to the personnel actually doing the de-icing and supervise said activity.

I fly around New England a bunch and I just make sure they really get the leading edges, flaps, elevator, tail etc.... 30 gal is pretty good for what you got I suppose...even with frost in NE they pour it on...depends on size of plane and amount of snow duh lol....I worked line for 5 years and noticed that a good deicer just does short sprays and lets the de ice fluid soak in...make take longers but it takes less and ends up not damaging anything in the process....I've seen a few antennas get damaged before from people letting the deice hose rip....also like the above says check the POH but I don't leave any covers on during the deicing process....I just make sure I keep the heat on while they are doing it but if there is anything in or on them it will get washed off....anyway not sure if that helped but most deicers are pretty good at what they do I have found just as long as you tell them what you need....and if you aren't comfortable with what they did or they didn't get all of it....make sure you tell them so....Also make sure you move all surfaces to make sure you have full movement...sometimes they don't hit the ice or snow enough and it can jam up your control surfaces...stay warm and safe! -J

This is my first time getting de-iced and I really had no clue on what to expect, what to watch for.
I rarely fly much in wintery locales but this weekend we took some sticky snow that froze on the CJ overnight.

They asked us what we wanted. We said fuse, wings, tail - 'especially the top of the tail' as we can't see up there. 30 gallons and 400$ later they brought it up dripping wet. We had left the engine and pitot covers on.
We preflighted, looking for fluid in the wrong places and saw no problems.

I noticed the leading edge of the wing was soaking wet with clear fluid and couldn't tell if it was deice or water so I wiped it.

On startup there was a momentary hang but before we could react it blew past it - not sure if that was deice fluid or not.

Any tips appreciated on how to order, monitor and evaluate deicing procedures.

Good guides and review

http://aircrafticing.grc.nasa.gov/courses_ground.html
http://aircrafticing.grc.nasa.gov/courses_inflight.html

Latest resources

Back