deicing B727

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetwash

I was wondering approximately how many gallons of deice fluid does it take to deice a B727 or similar size aircraft.

Just a ball park figure.

Thanks

depends on how much ice...

as little as 50 gallons type 1 wings and tail...

most I've had is 400 gallons when iced over from sitting.

That depends.

If an ABX ground crew is deicing you,
then two trucks can spend about 8,000 gals. on a +10 degree C night.

If it's anyone else. about 50 gals. under the same conditions.

My record is about 2500 Gallons from Atlantic Aviation at MDW. $13 a gallon, put it on company card and had a good laugh! That was the same snow sitting on the airplane that made the SW 737 slide off the end of the runway, about 12inches if i remember correctly.

That depends.

Well that's what happens when you have a "cost plus" contract and a 90 day notice in your back pocket.
Does tend to make the flight .... extra safe :pimp:

Does USA jet like to gouge customers on the de-ice bill.

A little over a month ago I was picking up some freight over at USA Jet in YIP. It wasn't an active aero trip. A broker was just using their facilities. A USA Jet DC9 was loading some of the same freight for a different destination. Despite being loaded after the DC9 I had the door shut and I was ready for de-icing well before them. We had accumulated a little frost that needed to be sprayed off. I had to sit there and wait while USA Jet sprayed more than 300 gallons on a DC9 to remove what looked like about 3 snowfalls worth of winter crust. We knew about the trip about 2 weeks in advance so I assume USA Jet did too. Why wouldn't they just hanger the plane all day and save the customer a little money? If they weren't profiting off the de-icing would they have still have racked up a $4500 glycol bill for the customer? To make it worse the broker (a former freight pilot) was on site and he didn't seem to pleased about the situation. I had a nice clean plane after about 30 gallons.

That depends.

They're pretty good at using 8,000 gal a plane. The funniest part is that the tankers that deliver it to ABX, only hold 5,000 gal.

Latest resources

Back