• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Declining Glories: The Airline Career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bingo. The averge person with an MBA will top out at $125k a year and more than likely will hate their job. quote]

The pay might top out there, but usually, they have year end bonuses that come into play. Sometimes, even more than there salary.

Correction Andy

"This is still a great career, to be paid in the upper 5% of US income earners to do something you like. Most people will never experience that.
Now if you do not like flying this is a terrible job".
This post was incomplete. According the US Census Bureau Individual Income for the highest paid group published in Oct 2002 on page 26. White Non Hispanic Males upper 5% was $150K/yr, upper 10% $116K/yr, upper 20% $82K/yr. This is counter Andy's claim of household income versus my posting of individual income.

Last edited:
"This is still a great career, to be paid in the upper 5% of US income earners to do something you like. Most people will never experience that.
Now if you do not like flying this is a terrible job".
This post was incomplete. According the US Census Bureau Individual Income for the highest paid group published in Oct 2002 on page 26. White Non Hispanic Males upper 5% was $150K/yr, upper 10% $116K/yr, upper 20% $82K/yr. This is counter Andy's claim of household income versus my posting of individual income.

First, your data is old. Second, looks to me like the average airline pilot in the US is in the top 20% as 82k is about the average pay for US pilots. Am I missing something yip? By the way, you sound like a broken record.

Leadership from the top is the only hope. ALPA is top down organization. There will always be a bottom but its the top standards that define the direction of the profession.

ALPA is not a top down organization. It is structured so that the line pilot has input into how the organization works. Ever heard of Resolutions? It is resolutions that are brought forth at LEC meetings that make their way to the MEC level and eventually to the ALPA BOD level. Of course, some resolutions get voted down at the LEC level too. You find out real quick if you are on the right path....or wayyyyy out in left field when your peers get to vote on your resolution.

In the recent past we saw lots of complaining about Duane Woerth's pay on these boards...but did anybody bring forth a resolution at their local LEC meeting? Nahhhh, they just complained about it....or didn't think it was important enough to commute in on a day off to even participate in the discussion much less, vote on it.

Leadership doesn't start at the top. It comes from within....either you are a leader...or you are a follower, waiting for someone else to show some leadership because the individual is either afraid....or wayyyyy out in left field...only one way to find out....jump in there and take control of your association...

Hoping for leadership from the top?....sheesh....no wonder the contracts look the way they do...too many Pilots looking for others to be leaders.

Tejas

ALPA is not a top down organization. It is structured so that the line pilot has input into how the organization works. Ever heard of Resolutions? It is resolutions that are brought forth at LEC meetings that make their way to the MEC level and eventually to the ALPA BOD level. Of course, some resolutions get voted down at the LEC level too. You find out real quick if you are on the right path....or wayyyyy out in left field when your peers get to vote on your resolution.

In the recent past we saw lots of complaining about Duane Woerth's pay on these boards...but did anybody bring forth a resolution at their local LEC meeting? Nahhhh, they just complained about it....or didn't think it was important enough to commute in on a day off to even participate in the discussion much less, vote on it.

Leadership doesn't start at the top. It comes from within....either you are a leader...or you are a follower, waiting for someone else to show some leadership because the individual is either afraid....or wayyyyy out in left field...only one way to find out....jump in there and take control of your association...

Hoping for leadership from the top?....sheesh....no wonder the contracts look the way they do...too many Pilots looking for others to be leaders.

Tejas

So if I proposed a resolution at my LEC meeting to stop the age 60 eduction campaign because the issue has already been decided by the 2005 vote and it was seconded and passed at my LEC meeting, ALPA national would fall in line with the wishes of my LEC?

What dream world are you living in? ALPA national tells ALPA MECs what to do. And the ALPA MEC sure do not follow what the LEC want much less the individual pilot.

ALPA national sets the tone of what ALPA business gets done. ALPA national has allowed the pattern bargaining of lowering contract standards. ALPA national has allowed age 60 to fester into a possible civil war.

Our only hope for the future is what John Prater and his cohorts are going to do next.

Last edited:
Still a great career

800dog, latest I could find, $82K is low for a career pilot, and maybe average at a regional, but top 10% is very doable in this business. BTW I am a broken record when is comes to being enthusiastic about this career, it is still a great career and the money is good by the standards of the rest of the wages earners in the US, thne on top of it to be blessed doing something you like. Like I have said before, if you want to be filthy rich, don't be pilot.

Last edited:
800dog, latest I could find, $82K is low for a career pilot, maybe average at a regional, but top 10% is very doable in this business.

Yip, I would be willing to bet that the average pilot in the US makes around 82k. Sure, there are some making 300k but, they are by far the minority and most will never see that kind of income. We could start an our own poll and see what most folks on this board made in 2006. I have been flying over 17 years with 11 years in the airline business and made 96k in 2006 working for a major airline. I think you will be surprised how little the average guy is making. Please stop doing a disservice to young people considering a career in aviation by telling them the pay is something it is not. They need to get all the education they can no matter what path they choose. By the way, your previous quote stated top 5%. Now you are saying top 10%? What gives? Finally seeing the light?

it would take you 10 years and quite a bit of luck. For every one of these jobs, 50 people started the journey.

God I absolutly love the deep seeted apathy and self loathing that I see here as well as by many others on this thread as if events in ones life are based largely on luck and pure chance. This attitude resembles stockholm syndrome and is reminicent of many battered women!!

With A VERY FEW EXCEPTIONS most of peoples career accomplishments are anything but luck!! They actually got off their butt and did something to chance their life unlike many here who yell into the dark and whine like a 6 year old kid who can't have a lollipop!!

On the other hand, most pilots don't have many skills outside of the cockpit that can be utilized in a different, but lucrative career. Some do, but most do not.

Wait I thought over 90% of all pilots at the majors have a 4 year degree, yet you make this statement. Start a side business on the internet that can be run on your days off, not to mention from your hotel room!! While you probably won't get rich, you will likely add a decent suppliment to your airline salary that you could set aside for a furlough fund. C'mon people see the trees for the forest!!

So if I proposed a resolution at my LEC meeting to stop the age 60 eduction campaign because the issue has already been decided by the 2005 vote and it was seconded and passed at my LEC meeting, ALPA national would fall in line with the wishes of my LEC?

What you are suggesting is that one pilot can change the entire course with one document at one meeting. If that were so then nothing would get done because everyone would be counter-resolution-ing each other.

Can you go to the floor of the House or Senate and introduce a bill? No, but yet you can do it at ALPA and effect change.

The kicker.. you have to politically savvy and well organized.

What dream world are you living in? ALPA national tells ALPA MECs what to do. And the ALPA MEC sure do not follow what the LEC want much less the individual pilot.

Well they certainly don't follow radical pilots or aloof pilots that show up to meetings with a shotty resolution looking to effect massive change from minimal effort.

Do you really want to belong to an organization where pilots can implement radical or even moderate change instantly?

Look if you want to change something it will take a lot of work. Basically before you bring a resolution to a meeting you have to know how the vote will go down. So, to do so, you have politick the vote. You have to get as many people as you can on your side of the fence. That takes alot of work. because in order to get pilots on your side you have to ensure your resolution is water tight.

If you want it to carry on, then you need to work the other LEC's and get them to work the resolution at thier Council. Are you getting exhausted already thinking about all the work it involves?

Gee, maybe the volunteers aren't so bad... :)

ALPA national sets the tone of what ALPA business gets done. ALPA national has allowed the pattern bargaining of lowering contract standards. ALPA national has allowed age 60 to fester into a possible civil war.

Who is ALPA National? I can tell you the four guys don't have the power, time or skills to make sweeping changes as you state. The BOD makes direction on a macro level to the EVP's and National.

Age60 dosn't have to be a civil war, unless you make it one. Can you focus on the issues and not get emotional or personal?

Our only hope for the future is what John Prater and his cohorts are going to do next.

So you have it all pinned on Prater. Sorry, Prater is one man. If we are going to get this career back it is going to take alot more than one guy. The entire membership is going to have to stop putting it all on one guy, except themselves.

Putting it all onto Ptater is simply sitting in the stands watching your career playout. You are a spectator to your own career.

But the choice is yours YOU CAN be a player!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back