• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Declining Glories: The Airline Career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The free market at work. Unions are losing their power.

Solution: Burn all the flight schools.

As long as CAL has 10,000 apps or whatever on file (1 of them is mine) I don't see how there can be any upward wage pressure, too much supply. Obviously the wages haven't gotten low enough to where nobody will apply. Until that happens management has no reason to increase wages. As we all know the airline managers could care less about whether your wife has to work or not.

A union can not override the laws of economics. I wish they could!

As long as CAL has 10,000 apps or whatever on file (1 of them is mine) I don't see how there can be any upward wage pressure, too much supply. Obviously the wages haven't gotten low enough to where nobody will apply. Until that happens management has no reason to increase wages. As we all know the airline managers could care less about whether your wife has to work or not.

A union can not override the laws of economics. I wish they could!

CAL pilots could put upward pressure on wages by threatening and following through with a strike when the contract is opened for negotiations. Comair did it in 2001 when there were plenty of people willing to come aboard at low wages. Unity and resolve can turn the tide.

luckytohaveajob wrote:

The problems of this industry can be fixed. Keep age 60. Retire the whores in the next five years while the companies rebuild their balance sheets and profitability and then as a unified group with a purpose retake what was lost.

My God, you have been keeping the secret of running a successful airline from airline management all these years!!! You should be ashamed of yourself. But I guess while you were getting your triple doctorate in business management there wasn't enough time to call the airlines and let them know.
I am truly amazed that the airlines didn't discover your secret sometime in the last 80 years of airline operation.

I am sick of hearing about economics. The argument has very little basis as long as the Railway Labor Act exists, and government regulation exists. There is a small amount of economic forces at work, but do not lose sight of the other issues.

Do you really think we would be paid the same if management couldn't keep us tied up in negotiations for years on end, and then when we want to strike the President simply says we can't. Take those out of the equation and tell me how much you think we would be paid. That my friends would be a free market at work.

It's not just doctors. Neighbor next door-sales rep. for prefab/construction company $130,000 a year, across the street HR manager $110,000. Then there's the friend that got Ds through college and does accounting for a land mngt company $100,000. Friend that is an orthopedic sales rep. $200,000. Sister in-law 29 yrs old and senior accountant $200,000.

BTW I have never said Doc's are low pay, or pilots are high pay, if you want to be rich you should propably not become a pilot. I you like flyingairplanes, you can make a decent income doing something you like.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back