Decline AD, accept ANG??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

frqntflyr

okay I was reading a thread in studenpilot.net about a guy who declined AD, accepted an ANG UPT slot and then got screwed over on some reg saying that he declined a slot therefore can't get one through the guard.

Anyone know the merits of this statement?? I guess I should add that I am civilian right now. There seemed to be some debate whether this reg applied to a civilian turning down AD.

In my case I was put in a hiring pool at an airline soon after receiving my acceptance to AD (a week or two). I declined the slot in hopes of being able to have an airline career and fly for the guard. Obviously some other factors too long to list had a lot to do with my decision. Just hoping someone can clear this one up. Thanks in advance.

It's time to make the decision!

Just got picked for ANG UPT slot and at the same time was still scheduled to go before OTS board in October. I have reviewed the regs (AFRCI36-2602) - you can find them at:
http://www.afrc.af.mil/afrcepl/PUBS/AFRC/36/36260200/36260200.pdf
There appears to be a lot of gray area here as we are not officers yet, but I can see their point. Both the OTS and ANG pipelines train under the AF umberlla - once you decline UPT, you ditch the "mother" organization.

In my case, I have pulled my application from going to the OTS board. After a brief discussion with the head of the ANG selection board at my squadron, I am convinced this was the best thing to do. This is not the time to muddy up the waters. Flying ANG is in my opinion the best of both worlds...

Does anyone know for sure???

To add to this confusion....

I spoke with the AF recruiter last night and according to his understanding, one can compete for any number of UPT slots and decline one in favor of another. He made it sound like it's all my choice and it's all up to me at this point.

Obviously we need someone in the know to crack through this matter.

So, I'm one of the dudes from the SPN that is in this situation. I've done some research and I'll let you know what I've come up with when I get some time.....

SMan

Can't wait

I'm holding my breath to hear what you have to say.....

By the way - where are you flying out of? Your aircraft mix is very familiar...

So.... what I thought was some good research may not have turned out to be so great. Actually, I've heard so many conflicting opinions from people who are "supposed" to know, I'm not sure what to believe. At this point, until I hear from someone that I'm not going to UPT (and I haven't yet), I'm assuming I'll be going. Sorry that my information isn't any big revelation, but that's the summary of my experience thus far. No one seems to know for sure.

Holding my breath.....
SMan

Latest resources

Back