Declaring Minimum Fuel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User997 said:
We've had to declare min fuel before, and fortunately we weren't visited by the local Feds, ...

My whole point of this post is to just show you a typical scenario where you could have plenty of fuel for your trip, but circumstances can take over and leave you cutting it close!

So you handled the situation and landed safely. No reason for a visit from your local Feds... A Min Fuel call doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

A Min fuel call is just a heads up to ATC. That doesn't mean you will be vectored to be number one for the approach. If ATC can, they will. Sometimes when the winds are stronger than planned or heavy traffic, there can be many aircraft all with Min Fuel. And even with a Min Fuel call at a busy airport, you may still be number 30 for the ILS. If this is going to be a problem, call the emergency or divert.

Always have a back up plan...

JAFI

Last edited:
I continue to raise my eyebrows at pilots who are afraid to declare "min fuel" or even declare an emergency (if indeed a emergency exists) due to their fear of "paperwork" or "visits from the Feds"

If you are in an emergency, declare it. If you have min fuel, declare it.

period

JAFI said:
So you handled the situation and landed safely. No reason for a visit from your local Feds... A Min Fuel call doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

Yea, forgive my wording in that. I didn't catch it until just a minute ago.

We weren't getting any cooperation from Approach, so we ended up having to delcare a Fuel EMERGENCY not min fuel. That's why I was a bit suprised cause the local feds had an office right next door to where we parked! ;)

Rattler71 said:
Declaring minimum fuel means you used more fuel than you planned and you are trying to stay alive. If the flight is at that point, the feds are the last thing on my mind. l

Rattler71

Yea, I didnt mean to sound so dramatic. Was just trying to point out that if I am having fuel issues, I don't even think about the feds response.

Rattler71

User997 said:
We weren't getting any cooperation from Approach, so we ended up having to delcare a Fuel EMERGENCY not min fuel. That's why I was a bit suprised cause the local feds had an office right next door to where we parked! ;)

Unless ATC had a problem with what you did the FSDO would normally not get involved. Again, you handled the problem and landed safely, end of story.

Now if you ran out of fuel and did an "off" airport landing, THEN you would be visited from the FSDO.

JAFI

JAFI said:
Unless ATC had a problem with what you did the FSDO would normally not get involved. Again, you handled the problem and landed safely, end of story.

Now if you ran out of fuel and did an "off" airport landing, THEN you would be visited from the FSDO.

JAFI

Possibly to pay their last respects.

There is no clear cut answer for this... At the center our procedures are this, A/C declares minimum fuel, controller asks A/C their intentions/request and we alert the supervisor. Every A/C that declares is logged. Majority of the time nothing comes of it. It is a common occurence for traffic from Europe to declare minimum fuel and need to divert due to head winds, most of the time it involves flights from Europe destined places such as MMMX, MMUN, etc. They often declare and divert to MYNN. Sometimes they have to even duck into TXKF if the winds are bad.

On a busy swap night when we're holding for all the NY metros half the planes that are issued holds declare minimums. Any mention of fuel is taken very seriously by ATC...

The only time you would see any trouble from the feds is if a pattern develops. A while back we had a corporate charter from the islands (TNCM) destined somewhere in Virginia declare, we cleared him direct and had to work out transition through hot warning areas with the military. (those of you that are familiar with the east coast know of all the warning areas). IN the following 2 weeks same thing happened 2 more times... the feds did take a look.

Rattler71 said it best... if in doubt declare... don't let the thought of a visit by a fed effect your decision.

ATCER, good post. If a trend develops where an emergency becomes common, then you may have to explain your planning procedures...

The system is there to give you an out if and when proper fuel planning doesn't work. It is much better if you tell ATC any problems you have and ask for assistance than to do a dead stick landing and then do a dance on the carpet in front of the Judge. I can tell you they do not have a sense of humor when it comes to hazarding passengers or any one on the ground.

JAFI

Gulfstream 200 said:
much can be aircraft dependent...

for example - 20 series Learjets or other turbojets - a few lengthy low level vectors and you go from IFR reserves to "minimum fuel" pretty quick.

luckily enough, many controllers understand this and are usually pretty helpful.......at least from my experience.
With a 20 series Lear the drill was to top it off, start and taxi out, get airborne, then advise ATC that you had a fuel emergency in progress. :D

'Sled

Ty Webb said:
Actually, "minimum fuel" is more of a "heads up" to ATC that you can't take any more delays . . . . or you will then have to declare an emergency.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5-85. MINIMUM FUEL ADVISORY[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]a. Pilot --[/font]

1. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Advise ATC of your minimum fuel status when your fuel supply has reached a state where, upon reaching destination, you cannot accept any undue delay.

[/font]
  2. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Be aware this is not an emergency situation, but merely an advisory that indicates an emergency situation is possible should any undue delay occur.

[/font]
  3. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Be aware a minimum fuel advisory does not imply a need for traffic priority.

[/font]
  4. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If the remaining usable fuel supply suggests the need for traffic priority to ensure a safe landing you should declare an emergency account low fuel and report fuel remaining in minutes. (Reference -- Pilot/Controller Glossary, Fuel Remaining).[/font]
Yes sir!

We had unforcast low ceilings and vis one night at MKE. Down to the RVR. That limited the airport to one runway and there is a rush hour at the airport at that time of night.

After being in a vector conga line for at least 45 minutes, I was placed in a position to almost call fuel min, but the controller called me and told me my next vector was for the downwind for the ILS...number two.

Don't think that this is something a low timer gets him/her self caught up in...during the conga line, airliners were being given hold instructions and as Nogs With Attidudes checked on freq and was told to expect to hold and they went WTF?...they were told they were number 25 in line. So the unforcast conditions caught everbody by surprise...even the big rig 121 guys.

I would have played the min fuel card with no regrets...it was unforcast wx.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back