Dear Flightinfo-Regional forum Hat Police patrol

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HMR said:
Hats are an important part of my company's image. Here's a photo of our last newhire class (I'm third from right).

Man, since when did Webolo's get wine? All we ever got was Koolaid. Hey, that may explain why I like Koolaid so much.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
:rolleyes: I'll wear the uniform right when they pay me better :rolleyes:

Nothing better than a new millenium Air Line Pilot walking down the terminal; no blazer and no hat. Representing the finest in male flight attendant image that would make any San Fran boy blush.....

Look like flight attendants....get paid like flight attendants....

Rez,

I agree. The hat makes a guy look like the Maytag repairman and will eventually go the way of the four-course range approach. It's a carryover from the military. However, if the company says wear it, I think a guy ought to wear it, at least in the terminal.

There is a certain "showbiz" aspect in the pax business ( cargo guys...ignore all the following ). When you walk through the terminal, people look at you and even if subconsciously, form an opinion of you and your company, right or wrong ( there is no reality...only perception ). Does this affect their buying habits ? I don't know, but it's a small thing to do just in case it does...especially these days.

Recently, I was non-revving from CLT-ATL on DL and saw a very young Airways Express FO standing line for the JS. The kid looked like crap...no hat...no freakin' TIE for God's sake !! In his uniform ( or what he was willing to wear of it ) with his company ID prominently displayed for all to see.

I'm afraid this is a sign of the times. Don't like the pay ? Feel you get no respect ( with due acknowledgement to Rodney Dangerfield ) ? You'll show 'em by dressing like you came to dump the trash ? I can only ask, where is your respect for yourself, your company, and your profession ?

Is the hat important in the overall scheme of human events ? Absolutely NOT !! And I hope they go away as they only kept hydraulic fluid out of your hair on the walkaround.

What one might want to consider is the general question of how he presents himself to the ticket-buying public in this time when every ticket purchase counts. Do "they" care about your hat ? No. Do they care about the impression left with them by the person who has their well-being in his hands ? I would think they do. It's not about the hat.

Being presentable ( in whatever form that takes ) is pretty easy to do...it may be in your own personal best interest to do that. Just a thought from a guy whose hat is now a spider farm in his closet along with about 100 old clip-on ties.

Last edited:
You gotta wear the hat "down", never "up". Makes a big difference.

Last edited:
k_EAT=ho_ME said:
Man, since when did Webolo's get wine? All we ever got was Koolaid. Hey, that may explain why I like Koolaid so much.
Those aren't Webolo's. That's actually the newhire class at my old charter job. They got all of us kids drunk and made us agree to crappy pay and benefits.

TopGun-MAV said:
i have found that the more you wear your hat the more chinks you will pick up. i picked up 3 chicks in one day just by wearing a hat and sunflasses un the terminal.
Yo Brutha, is this you?

I would LOVE for a guy to come up to me and ask where my hat is?

He would be pissing blood for a week........

Riighht.... and after you got out of jail for assault you'd be looking up the number to the truckdriving school or wearing your cool polyester uniform to be the security guard at Sheetz. Internet tough guys....

jjetpilot said:
I would LOVE for a guy to come up to me and ask where my hat is?

He would be pissing blood for a week........

Cute.... a real winner at the table of policy and change. Real effective with solutions. Then again you have to be invited to sit with the players.....

Kinda like that rapper with his pathetic attempt to slam the Administration and the N.O. relief efforts .....ok..I'll admit I can't even remember his name....why? Cause overnight he is a nobody now when it comes to being a part of the rebuilding.... He'll no longer be invited to future solutions....

Pilots are so pissed off that thier career expectations are in the toliet they can't see straight... screw me? No screw you [the establishment] and your stinkin' uniform.... But hey, be a real bourgeois and stop wearing your tie!

Pilots not caring about thier uniform and image is compared to looters not caring about their communities..... ransack the image. If no one cares about us why should we care about us..... burn it all down.....

Look Unprofessional....feel unprofessional.....feel blue collar....negotiate blue collar= Live blue collar.

Who is going to take ownership of the Air Line Pilot profession? Management? Bush?

In five, ten, twenty years...someone is going to fly jets.... the question is...who and and what rate? But who cares.... screw everybody!!

If we don't take ownership of our Profession someone else will. If we don't develop a vision of what we want to be then they will. Sure it is a bit corney but it is better than giving up. I'm not quitting.....

Last edited:
JT8D said:
ALPA...................

Maybe....probably not.....

I was hoping for more of a grassroots efforts, but that would actually mean logging off of flightinfo, taking repsonsibility, no longer demanding 'where is mine' and using our brains........:eek:

Latest resources

Back