• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShyFlyGuy

Major Member
Hello again, fellas.

I have a question about a friend. I'm sure there are others out there who have had friends in this situation, and I would like to hear what he/she did, or advice you might have for that friend. No first-hand experience please, if you know what I'm saying.

So I have this friend who went through a rough patch a few years back. Lost a friend and such. He's done alright over the past few years, but maybe he didn't deal with it like he should have and now he gets down-in-the-dumps sometimes. There are good days, but there are bad days. It's nothing serious, just days where he wants to cry, feels blue, etc. Recently, it's been tough, though. Don't know why, it just has. He's been flying for the past few years without a problem, but he's thinking that he should go talk to someone about being sad.

Unfortunately, he can't do that. He's got the FAA and company looming large and just waiting to drop the hammer as soon as the "D"-word is spoken. It's not even that, though. Maybe he just needs to talk to someone. Maybe he just needs a break. How do you approach the subject? It is something someone needs to keep off the ol' medical history if he wants to stay in the industry, you know? But he's sad a lot.

Any advice?

Shy

Your friend can go see a counselor without having the FAA involved. They get involved when you start taking meds.

But, chances are any psych Dr. is going to push prozac or the latest and greatest 'instant-fix-your-problems pill.

There's a time for grieving and talking things out but ya gotta suck it up, realize where you could have done things differently and where you did things right and move on.

If you don't, you're done. TC

Not to be cute or flip or anything, but I heard some good advice once: when you're depressed, go help somebody less fortunate than yourself....

Good luck to your friend, though. Seriously.

I can help

I am an international pilot and I'm also a certified NLP master practitioner and hypnotist. I have helped dozens of my fellow crewmembers get over many issues from abuse to addictions. My website is www.giftedhealer.com and all information is strictly confidential.

Cheap is what you'll get

If you want to go cheap, then cheap is what you'll get and the company can still find a way to find out what you've been up to. My services can be done confidentially in person or over the phone. If you want results that are effective and lasting, then call.

That's the whole challenge with many people, they don't want to invest in themselves out of their own pocket for their own health if their health insurance doesn't pay for it. Just one man's opinion.

"Feeling Good" by David Burns

If it's an airline, an EAP program counselor can be helpful and they know all about the whole drug mess so will do their best to keep the affected person off 'em.

Good luck!

clear skies

Get a copy of the latest ALPA magazine. The majority of the issue is dedicated to exactly this. Even had a deal on a guy getting himself and his career back together after starting the car up for "one last ride" in the garage.

Latest resources

Back