• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DE Rides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah Luckett is the one that I have been told about. Yeah I heard about the Sherriffs wreck (I lived in Tampa then).

Thanks I will be be able to confidently assert my right as PIC, thanks for all the help.

I guess that the appropriate regulations have been pointed out to Flydog, so I won't repeat them. I will say that on my Private Pilot checkride, the DE said to me "you are the PIC on this flight, I'm taking my pilot certificate out of my wallet and leaving it on my desk......"

DE quals

The FAA will appoint an extremely experienced pilot as a DE. Usually, appointment is based on need for a DE in that locale. You don't have to be a Wright Brother with fifty zillion hours to be appointed as a Designated Examiner or have a lot of diverse flying experience, but most who are appointed have that kind of background. I believe that you have to have a CFI and you must hold all ratings for the practicals that you will administer. You don't necessarily have to hold an ATP to be appointed as a DE.

The approval process might take a couple of years and the potential DE must pay for most of the costs. DE's receive training from the Flight Standards Branch at the Monroney Center in Okie City. I am familiar with the training. It's very good training. I received an abbreviated version when I was in CAP. The ASI who trained DE's was a CAP member and set up the course for CAP check pilots.

An important rule about DE's is by reg their primary source of income cannot be flight test fees. In addition, they cannot give more than two practicals per day. Quite a number of DE's flaunt that rule, though.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Ever since Riddle DAB lost its self examining authority, a few DEs have become resident examiners and do upwards or 3 or 4 a day. If the DE mentioned above is the same examiner I think he is, he quit is job as a captain for Eagle to do checkrides full time. At $250 a pop, that's quite a good chunk of change he's pulling in.

chper, you are correct, he did have a job at eagle and he said he left because he didn't like it. Riddle didn't lose self-examing authority though. The FAA required it only for the commercial rating.
I know KL does check rides 7 days a week weather permitting. I also hear the process to become a DE is very political.

I meant for the commercial course... I instructed there in 2000/2001...

Unless things have changed, he wasn't the biggest abuser though.. BR was much worse.

Yeah, BR was bad. Luckily, well I guess it depends on how you look at it, he got called to active duty. The new ball buster is NE.

RB got called up.. how funny. Between UAL, flying in the guard, and all the other crap he did, it always surprised me how he could get all those checkrides done... until I flew with him that is.

Here I am going for my instrument rating. He shows up about an hour late, hops in the airplane and before I could say hello, he says start this thing up and lets go. On the taxi out the oral began and didn't end until we were back on the ground. He tells me to hold over OMN, and not even established in the hold he has me do a couple steep turns. Back inbound now and it's unusual attitude time.. Did the entire checkride with oral in less time than it takes most people to get dressed in the morning.

Latest resources

Back