• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

De-Icing fluid price gouging?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
anyone that de-iced in BWI on the 5th of Dec. They cleared a quarter inch of snow off our plane and claimed to shoot 400 gallons in 14 minutes. Check your receipts. I don't even think the truck can shoot that much, I won't even mention the cost-

Whatever the cost, it sure beats crashing! Just ask Dick Ebersol what he would have paid for a for a nice bath of de-ice fluid. I know we have to be mindful of costs, and $18k seems out of this world, but they kind of have us by the b@lls! I think we paid $2500 the other day at APA.

And you are not just paying for the de-ice fluid that day. The FBO has to buy de-ice trucks and let them sit all spring, summer and fall. You can't just say, "hey, I can order a gallon of de-ice fluid from Sporty's for X amount, therefore, I think you shoud only charge me that amount." It really comes down to risk and service. The FBO took the risk of buying the trucks and stocking the fluid knowing that one day, you would need to be de-iced. Would you want an owner of a plane paying you $500 bucks a day saying, "Shoot $500 a day, that's too much. That's over $180,000 per year! I'll pay you 200 a day! That's over $70,000 per year! And that's plenty!"

Last edited:
deice...

Deicing in Vancouver:

Type I: 23.00/gal plus 22/gal for fluid recovery

Type IV: 25.50/gal plus 23.50/gal for fluid recovery

That adds up quick....$6800 to Type I and IV the X the other day....had o wait 45 min behind an A330...

But...much less expensive than any type of incident/accident....

The price of doing business.

We paid $1800 for about 6.5 minutes of de-ice there last week. We got the bill and called IAD Landmark. There was no way that they used 110 gallons of Type I in that about of time. We only had about 1/8" of ice on the airplane. I saw them spray and it was on and off at best during that timeframe.

They told me "well, that's what the truck readout was sir."

It's a scam like a Signature "security fee"!

There is a new FBO at IAD. Dulles Jet Center - not sure their prices though. Nice Facilities.

Jet Center...

We use Dulles Jet Center...very good service and nice facility....

The catch is that all aircraft services are provided by Signature...fuel, deice, etc.

But, hangar space is available and if you tanker fuel you don't need to worry about much...

Landing/parking for a C-750 is 185.00..that was our total bill last time we were there....

Latest resources

Back