• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DCI Fall Cutbacks..............

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First of all, he was talking about MOU 43 and 44, which have already expired. It would be simple to renew them, assuming both the company and ALPA want to.

How do we know that SkyWest, Inc. hasn't manipulated the flying given over by Delta to give more flying to SkyWest and less to ASA? We still see a lot of SkyWest airplanes in ATL and CVG, even after ASA got 900s. So then why don't we see ASA airplanes in SLC? Isn't it possible that SkyWest, Inc. is trying to keep the flying on the SkyWest side so they don't have to furlough over there?

If it comes down to it, SkyWest, Inc. can get out of the ASA no furlough clause by filing bankruptcy. But then their DCI contract can be canceled immediately, so that wouldn't be too smart. If it comes to that, they will need to assign more flying to ASA, and furlough off the side of the company without any protections.

Last edited:
What is left to do is to furlough some of these SKYW people! There is no reason ASA should take all the bad news, and they get none.... SKYW is still doing a lot of flying in ATL!

Not possible. Skywest hase clauses in their contract to allow only so many capacity cuts and they have reached that limit. The cuts will have to come from other carriers.

Concur. I see some difficult, painful choices in the future.

It is ugly now, and about to get uglier, but it will turn around. When it does turn around, my guess is 12-16 months from now, it will be the start of a wave of pilot hiring that could do even more damage to our profession. MPL anyone?

Actually, MPL is a solution to the problem facing the regionals of incompetent F/Os. An MPL F/O will have spent almost his entire training in jet simulators and be ready to transition to a real jet on the line instead of the existing F/Os who have to transition from a seminole to an RJ. The MPL F/O will be going from a 737 or A320 simulator to an RJ, so his transition will be simple.

Without having my contract handy at this time, doesn't the section listed under Scotts letter pertain to the no furlough clause. I'm normally an upbeat person, but this isn't sounding good at all............I'm thinking this falls cuts are going to hurt..............bad...

As for the pilot hiring boom in 3-4 years..........I don't think people realize just how bad it's going to be. Lots of people either being forced out, or punching out of the flying biz. There are no pilots entering the pipeline now........Only two ways you're coming up with funds to fly- cash money (the stock market issue and economy have drained most cash anyone would have to pay for this) and student loans (Most of which can't be used for flight training now). With the retirements coming up, you could just about completely empty every seniority list at every regional and still not fill in the blank.

All the while, many mainline pilots complain that a staple would put "unqualified" and "undesirable" candidates on mainline seniority lists. The ironic thing is, that those very candidates will likely end up there anyway, but the damage we inflict on our own working wages will persist. Management will simply lower the qualifications for hiring to fill the seats on the flight deck. At a not too distant point in time, it's not going to matter if you're blind, a cripple, or incapable of flying a kite- if you want to fly for a legacy or any other airline, you're simply just going to have to ask or show up..............

They are right. The majors should just avoid the risk of hiring an "unknown quantity" that hiring a current generation regional pilot would entaile. The majors should only hire military or a new generation of MPL candidates who the majors would know there entire training history from day one.

Actually, MPL is a solution to the problem facing the regionals of incompetent F/Os. An MPL F/O will have spent almost his entire training in jet simulators and be ready to transition to a real jet on the line instead of the existing F/Os who have to transition from a seminole to an RJ. The MPL F/O will be going from a 737 or A320 simulator to an RJ, so his transition will be simple.

I'm not very well studied on MPL, but from what you're saying, it will be mostly simulator based. Do you really think that "flying" a sim around is the same as dealing with real weather, ATC, emergencies, etc...?

First of all, he was talking about MOU 43 and 44, which have already expired. It would be simple to renew them, assuming both the company and ALPA want to.

How do we know that SkyWest, Inc. hasn't manipulated the flying given over by Delta to give more flying to SkyWest and less to ASA? We still see a lot of SkyWest airplanes in ATL and CVG, even after ASA got 900s. So then why don't we see ASA airplanes in SLC? Isn't it possible that SkyWest, Inc. is trying to keep the flying on the SkyWest side so they don't have to furlough over there?

If it comes down to it, SkyWest, Inc. can get out of the ASA no furlough clause by filing bankruptcy. But then their DCI contract can be canceled immediately, so that wouldn't be too smart. If it comes to that, they will need to assign more flying to ASA, and furlough off the side of the company without any protections.

File bankruptcy?? They would have to burn through there 700 mill in cash first!!

I'm not very well studied on MPL, but from what you're saying, it will be mostly simulator based. Do you really think that "flying" a sim around is the same as dealing with real weather, ATC, emergencies, etc...?

How is this different from the current generation of regional f/o from the "academies" who have never dealt with real weather , high density ATC or real emergencies, plus the biggest thing they have flown is a seminole. I'd rather have one that at least knows about jet systems and jet handling and can fly at jet speeds.

File bankruptcy?? They would have to burn through there 700 mill in cash first!!

Well, technically, they could file for one of the two subsidiaries and claim that it is a drain on their operations.

Realistically, you're right, dumb idea.

You still post here? Does posting endless flame ever get boring?

Latest resources

Back