DCA north departures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Axel

Anybody know if the turn off of the DCA 328 radial is based on altitude or based on distance?

Airspace? What airspace?

Anyone maybe have a useful answer?

Last edited:
The 328 radial avoids airspace...

Which is why it is assigned
icon21.gif

Please allow me to rephrase the question:

IFR departures from runways 1 and 33 at DCA are cleared to intercept and track the DCA 328 radial both for noise abatement and in order to remain clear of P-56, then expect vectors to the exit gate associated with the intended direction of flight:

North: EMI
East: SWANN, PALEO
South / Southeast: DAILY
South / Southwest: HAFNR, FLUKY
West: LDN, AML (J149)
Northwest: MRB, BUFFR, JERES

What is the criteria, distance from DCA or aircraft altitude, used by ATC to determine when an aircraft is to depart the assigned 328 radial and be issued a clearance to it's respective exit gate

Last edited:
It has been a while since I have been there, but if I had to guess, I would imagine it is based more on distance than altitude. I believe the prohibited areas are from the surface to 18,000 feet and you are not going to out climb them before you pass them. For eastbound departures you always have to pass the Naval Observatory before you make a right turn no matter what your altitude. For westbound departures I think it was based more on altitude depending on IAD arrival and departure gates. That would be my best guess.

In order:

1) distance to clear P-56 (not really that far, you could turn right again almost right away).

2) altitude/distance reference the IAD departure gates and to sequence with other traffic to your outbound fix.

If you're climbing at 250kts there's not much you can do to hurry your turn on course. If you're still heading out the 328 radial passing through 10k' and looking for a right turn on course, then they have traffic ahead of you, and they'll turn you when they can. Just fly your aircraft/company profile so they know what to expect.

In my previous experience, most turns were given about 8,000' and around the American Legion Bridge/Naval Surface Warfare Center...which is pretty close to 10 DME from DCA.

Latest resources

Back