• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DC10 vs MD11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I can remember correctly we took off at max gross of 630500, the ZWF was about 460000 and had roughly 170000 of fuel. At that weight I think the burn was around 18000/hour. Made it to Anchorage in about 8.5 hours with a tail wind ( can't remember the exact numbers). Got off the plane and a new crew took it to New York. What I remember most about that flight was we pushed back just below max ramp weight and we had waited for the gauges to read 630500 when we stood the throttle up; what a kick in the pants. I have done this only twice. The other time was in Seattle headed for Asia with a plane load of people. Didn't have the same max payload but the tanks were topped off to the gills and we needed every pound to make our destination. Our V clean speed on climb out was around 280 KTS. We needed every foot of that pavement and even had to use the head wind correction advantage in the RAM for the take off. I remember when the mains lifted off the runway I looked out the side window and all the runway lights were red and we're barely over the threathhold. That was my record flight of 13 hours and 58 minutes aloft. Wasn't a lot of fun, hence my call sign chronic jetlag. I've got a "two four butt" and that trip kicked my a**."

Latest resources

Back