Daytona 500

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mercury

Anyone have any thoughts,comments or suggestions on the "race after the race" to get out of DAB last night. We were 1:45 just to get to spot W.
Been though this quite a few years now and I just kept thinking to myself there has got to be a better way! Then the other pilot looked at me and said "yeah there is, stay until monday!!!" Although it looked like the guys who went down 16 to A got moving quicker than the ones on W.

Actually i wonder if a gate hold procedure like they use in TEB would work. Call clearance, get on the list, they tell you when to start em up. Should make for some good conversation........

Mercury said:
Anyone have any thoughts,comments or suggestions on the "race after the race" to get out of DAB last night. We were 1:45 just to get to spot W.
Been though this quite a few years now and I just kept thinking to myself there has got to be a better way! Then the other pilot looked at me and said "yeah there is, stay until monday!!!" Although it looked like the guys who went down 16 to A got moving quicker than the ones on W.

Actually i wonder if a gate hold procedure like they use in TEB would work. Call clearance, get on the list, they tell you when to start em up. Should make for some good conversation........

Other than don't go I really have no input. I was just there this morning doing a pick up and I have to say that SheltAir sucks. Like many other FBO's these days, the concept of a "quick turn" and exactly what that term means is lost on them . We gave them a 20 minute heads up and the best they could do was to try and marshall us in to a tight space between Jimmie Johnson's airplane and a Falcon only for them to realize that we wouldn't fit. So then we have to shut down, they have to move us, and then when I ask them where the fuel truck is they give me the old, "fill out the form inside first" line of BS. Even though we asked for (and they acknowledged) a GPU to be standing by, after spending about 30 minutes on the ground being fueled by rampers that didn't have a clue how to fuel a single point 31A it never showed up so we just battery started and got the heck of there.

In all fairness, I guess I might not have been so pi$$ed had our arrival not already been delayed for hours while we waited for the fog to lift.

I can only imagine what a complete F'-up that FBO ramp was right after the race. :eek: I just would expect that an FBO like SheltAir would have their A-Game working for an event like the 500... Guess not...

Last edited:
they should have had Colby out there !!! anyone who has been through JAX knows who I'm talking about.

h25b said:
Other than don't go I really have no input. I was just there this morning doing a pick up and I have to say that SheltAir sucks. Like many other FBO's these days, the concept of a "quick turn" and exactly what that term means is lost on them . We gave them a 20 minute heads up and the best they could do was to try and marshall us in to a tight space between Jimmie Johnson's airplane and a Falcon only for them to realize that we wouldn't fit. So then we have to shut down, they have to move us, and then when I ask them where the fuel truck is they give me the old, "fill out the form inside first" line of BS. Even though we asked for (and they acknowledged) a GPU to be standing by, after spending about 30 minutes on the ground being fueled by rampers that didn't have a clue how to fuel a single point 31A it never showed up so we just battery started and got the heck of there.

In all fairness, I guess I might not have been so pi$$ed had our arrival not already been delayed for hours while we waited for the fog to lift.

I can only imagine what a complete F'-up that FBO ramp was right after the race. :eek: I just would expect that an FBO like SheltAir would have their A-Game working for an event like the 500... Guess not...

Flew in there a few weeks ago, called 15 out to have the rental car pulled out for the pax, and the person on the radio said it would be out there. No car in sight when we park. Ask the line guy where the car is, "what car?" By the time it got out there it didn't save us any time from going out to the parking lot. They were not busy in the least when we got there, not to impressed.

I was there on Sunday too. Our pax, highly experienced corporate jet types, left with 20 laps to go for the sole purpose of missing the cluster that follows the race. They attend enough of these events to know the best options are to leave early or stay the night.

Anyone calling for a quick turn near one of these things is wasting everyones time. GPU you need to be ready to go when it arrives, no sitting on it. Super bowls, World Series, etc,,,, they are different and pilots need to adapt.

haha TigerDriver, she was there. we sent her down there to help out for the race. Shes on FBOhotties too.

Publishers said:
Anyone calling for a quick turn near one of these things is wasting everyones time. GPU you need to be ready to go when it arrives, no sitting on it. Super bowls, World Series, etc,,,, they are different and pilots need to adapt.

Not really sure about that... Superbowls and World Series don't happen in the same location every year.

We're not talking about a facility that hasn't had to deal with this every year are we ??? They know that this event is coming and what they are going to have to deal with every year. The ramp this particular day was any busier than a lot of other ramps on a normal day. They even have other FBO's that they could have moved some additional resources over from as well.

Sorry, no excuse for their performance...

Latest resources

Back