Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

spitfire1940

Hey Guys,

I'm curious how your companies arrange days off.

I work for an outfit that gives me five guaranteed days off every month. On days when I'm not officially off, but also not flying, I'm supposed to stay within one hour of my base. We do on-demand charter, but also a lot of 91 flying for our aircraft owners.

So generally speaking, I have around 15 days off per month, but I can only plan to do stuff with my family, or wander more than an hour from home, on five of those days.

The company schedules at least two of the "golden" days to fall on a weekend. We can request days off the month prior.

So while I usually have more than the eight days off per month that normal working stiffs can count on, the downside is that my schedule is totally unpredictable.

Is there a better way of scheduling or is this just the nature of the non-scheduled 135 beast?

Thanks for your input,
spit

Days off? What is that? :bomb:

Either your on duty or your off duty....sittin at home waiting for the pager to go off is "on-duty"....only problem is...no one enforces it....the faa is looking to changing this right now. Soon part 135 will be like 91K.

Im soooooo glad i don't fly on-demand anymore....it's so nice not being tired

Um, if you got 8 hours of "rest" in the crappy FBO, you just met the FAA minimum rest requirement. Congratulations! You're a real 135 pilot now.

Week on, week off. During our week on, we've gotta be within an hour of the airport. We usually are expected to be somewhat flexible on our first and last days off, in case trips extend or leave early...but if you let scheduling know you've got hard plans on those days off, they are really good about making sure you're where you need to be.

By scheduling the "hard" days off, the company avoids the whole issue of whether or not the on call days where they didn't call you count toward your required 13 days per quarter of "free from all company duties". My first year in charter was with a company who simply counted days where there was no logged flight duty as "OFF" days. After 90 days in a row either on call or on trips, I found out I had been off for 15 days during that period. Absolutely slimy, but not uncommon and unfortunately rarely enforced or even challenged by the FAA. Seems they have bigger fish to fry.

Six days off the leash doesn't feel like much, but it's a whole lot better than nothing and it's nearly as good as it gets in most charter companies. I was in a better situation once but not surprisingly, it didn't last. Understaffing is the norm. So pound down those hours in the hope of a brighter future!

Best,

thanks for the replies.

I kind of suspected we were all in the same boat--although my boat may be better than some.

Charter Dog, it sounds like they were abusing you guys. My schedule would bother me less if I flew more, but I'm only getting abut 30-35 hours a month, which is postponing my brighter future.

I've heard of companies that try to give pilots at least every other weekend off, but don't know of any personally.

T-bone's deal sounds a bit like being at NJ or CS--not too bad.

I guess scheduling is a reason most guys don't make a career out of on-demand.

Latest resources

Back