• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dayjets closing doors TODAY

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My sympathies to the employees, but I just never figured out how they could make enough money to keep it going - oil/credit crisis or no.

The Eclipse was a bold move to try and innovate the industry, but we're beginning to see how much of it was just hype. It always struck me as a Lear 23 with great avionics.

And for Dayjet to order tons of them before making any money? Not a great business plan, as it turns out...

Can't say I'm surprised at the news; I just didn't see how it could sustain itself.

That said.... why is this in the Fractionals section?

Can't say I'm surprised at the news; I just didn't see how it could sustain itself.

That said.... why is this in the Fractionals section?

Because that is all investors might get back on their investment, a 'fraction'.

It was a bold plan. The problem that I saw was that they did not advertise to the public whatsoever. And I mean zero marketing. Most folks who would utilize their services and increase their load factor knew nothing about them.

Sad.

Zero marketing huh?? Maybe not as much as other people but zero isn't quite correct.

Like someone pointed out in a previous post, the line between bold and stupid is a thin one. I personally never thought the idea would work. Time will tell if Eclipse makes it, they just lost a ton of orders, the NTSB or DOT is investigating their certifaction process. King Air 200 is a better bet to buy then a Eclipse.

Also who exactly were they marketing to??

Why is this thread in the fractional section??

First, they did quite a bit of marketing although this was never a general public market target.
Second, South Florida was the perfect place to start, good weather, small towns without good service, hard to drive city pairs.
Third, probably the wrong plane but????
Fourth, if you could predict the current economic situation, you should not be wasting your time on these boards.

Another Mediocre Idea!!

Another blow to the industry. I'm sad for all who lost their jobs.

However I have little sympathy for the corporate founders. The idea was impractical, pie-in-the sky stuff using an impractical airplane in an impractical market. I suspect it amounts to yet another swindling of dumb-azz investors

If it had not been for oil prices going to $140/barrel,the Housing market /credit crunch,they might have been able to hang on,although $1000.00/hr charter rates were a little high for an aircraft that seats 3 pax!!!

It is hard to make any money in the first 2 years of any business...

The ones that have good ideas still wont survive the first 2 years unless they have a great idea or get lucky.

Dayjets had a good idea, but bad luck. Look how many airlines went out of business, and if you thought the airline industry was bad look at banking. Airlines couldn't get 10 billion that was promised, but the banks are getting 700 billion.

We skipped a recession this week and the government is trying to avoid Great Depression 2.

I don't think the Dayjet idea has been truely tested yet...

Latest resources

Back