• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

dash-8 flyers help please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Been some years, but yeah, 23-26% torque at 1200 rpm is about right.

We put condition levers to max on an ILS. Only used 1050 rpm if we wanted to climb in a hurry.

Been some yearsOnly used 1050 rpm if we wanted to climb in a hurry.

????????
Climb is faster off an ILS miss @ props 1200 and flaps 15. Didn't you mean to say standard sim ils is @ flaps 15 with props max? Thats just an easier config. for losing an engine on the initial missed apch segment.
(not that the evaluation will entail anything like it)
I'm not trying to argue with ya Frt. Dog, just trying to help the new guy with the "norm" thats looking for the advice.....

I'm sorry, I need to explain it better.

We only used 1050 on a climbout if we wanted to climb faster. Our normal climb profile was 90%/900RPM.

On an ILS, we were already at 23-26% at 1200RPM, so naturally, the go-around would be at 1200RPM.

We only used 1050 on a climbout if we wanted to climb faster. Our normal climb profile was 90%/900RPM.

On an ILS, we were already at 23-26% at 1200RPM, so naturally, the go-around would be at 1200RPM.
No need to apologize. Some of us here knew what you meant.

Good luck to the OP's "buddy" at his sim check.

For sim typically the profile goes like this: try to maintain 160kts troughout the eval if you are allowed. This keeps everything slow. Reduce the power to between 30-35% when you are a dot and a half below the glide slope. When speed is below 158kts drop the gear, when below 148kts flaps 15, then bring the props to max. The torque should reduce to about 24% or so, and that will give you about ref + 20 at 1000ft, and ref +10 by 500ft. Don't mess with the power too much, or you will be all over the place. Hope this helps.

So how many PA28s are there?

No need to apologize cause I was slow getting your point....!
:blush:

We normally climb @ 1050 to cruise but have the numbers for 900 climb to cruise, if we are "light" or so desire to do a 900 climb to make the pax try to forget they are riding on a turbo-shaker.......

For sim typically the profile goes like this: try to maintain 160kts troughout the eval if you are allowed. This keeps everything slow. Reduce the power to between 30-35% when you are a dot and a half below the glide slope. When speed is below 158kts drop the gear, when below 148kts flaps 15, then bring the props to max. The torque should reduce to about 24% or so, and that will give you about ref + 20 at 1000ft, and ref +10 by 500ft. Don't mess with the power too much, or you will be all over the place. Hope this helps.

That was a very eloquent brief and it works like a charm.
Nicely spelled out Capt G. !
Evaul dude do this and you wont go wrong in a DHC-8 sim.

Capt G.~ I'm jealous I've only flown about half of those PA's that you have listed!
:beer:

One other thing I'd like to add to Capt. G's outstanding brief...

Learn to really use your flight director. I cannot emphasize that enough. During my initial DHC-8 training, I was still doing it the old beater freight dog way i.e. flight director must be the guy that brings me my freight and tells me where to go... basically HSI, airspeed, altimeter, VSI, etc. Once I got used to the flight director, it was all a cake, especially single engine work since you have to handfly those approaches.

One other thing I'd like to add to Capt. G's outstanding brief...

Learn to really use your flight director. I cannot emphasize that enough. During my initial DHC-8 training, I was still doing it the old beater freight dog way i.e. flight director must be the guy that brings me my freight and tells me where to go... basically HSI, airspeed, altimeter, VSI, etc. Once I got used to the flight director, it was all a cake, especially single engine work since you have to handfly those approaches.

Another good point!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back