• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dasburg knew all along

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The reason that I have an interest is that for many years, I was very active in Ohio aviation in general and in the package and freight business. I remember when Airborne did the study and found that Wilmington had the best weather for this type of operation and announced they were moving there. In the old days, my charter company used to fly for both Purolator and Emery air freight along with all the auto parts and checks. I helped recruit the Tigers operation to LCK. I ttried to get the Postal Service hub for there as well. I chased after Burlington and all the rest as well. We flew for DHL at Cincinnati and then the CF operation over at Indy.
I am very sympatheitc to the people in my home state and the many families in central Ohio who workd there.
As a student of the business however, I wondered how DHL could ever really get the act together. Perhaps if the economy had held together longer, they would have made the market strides to compete. The sad fact is that this is just another of what has been a downward spiral from those days past in the air freight market.

As a student of the business however, I wondered how DHL could ever really get the act together. Perhaps if the economy had held together longer, they would have made the market strides to compete. The sad fact is that this is just another of what has been a downward spiral from those days past in the air freight market.

I don't think they can ever get their act together. They have always made the wrong decisions and they are doing it again by giving up control of their network with the UPS deal. They really don't know how to run an express business here in the states, period. And I really mean that, they do not have a clue as to what they are doing. They blame the economy and fuel prices which does factor into some of the decrease in business. But lost customers are a result of their inability, low package count is a result of economy. There is a huge difference between the two.

I will concede that they may have to "restructure" their costs as a result of the economy and fuel prices like the passenger carriers have done. Crazy that they never even tried and just chose to lose control of their entire network instead. But like I said, they have no idea what they are doing. EVER.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back