Darn greedy no good FedEx pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jindel is Lowecur!

At least he knows about as much about the industry.

What a tool. Jindel that is.

FJ

PS: Yip: You are right, we should be happy we get paid at all. After all, the company has only made about $480 MILLION in profits since the current contract has been in place. And those are American dollars too.

Pretty soon we'll be talking real money.

Or is just that it is harder to fly people because all the pretty flight attendents distract the pilots on passenger airlines?

He-me, ya must be talking about Bob, Jim and Oscar...Or grandma Betty?

No, the good times are gone and over with forever...

It is easier to fly Cargo 'cause the boxes don't complain, hours are usually off-peak and compensation is in many cases better than cut-to-the-bone pax carriers.

As for FDX bonus for early agreement....Heck of a good start..Would love to see Purple raise the bar up high and mighty.

I have flown passengers and boxes, although there are might be more worries with passengers (drunk passengers, sick passengers, passengers complain) once the door is shut the FA's take care of that. The "flying" is actually harder when you go to non-tower airports in bad weather in the middle of the night. Never saw a passenger carrier do that.

Huck said:
We will never ever have the public on our side.

And that goes for all pilot groups.

Look for a "Purple Rally" for all non-union employees this summer....

That is right. Nobody cares about pilots except pilots. 3 months after the contract is signed, regardless of the terms, all will be forgotten, by everyone, except the losers who got the short end of the stick.

Divide and Conquer
Fear and intimidation

Common tactics that are easily absorbed into the weakest of men.

Bring a gun to a knife fight.

Support your MEC and Negosh Committe. Understand the saber waving, trash talking and chest beating is part of the game.

The TA won't be perfect. Don't negotiate with the company as a member by voting No.

Good Luck. We are counting on the Freight Dogs. FX and UPS have support....

Falconjet said:
After all, the company has only made about $480 MILLION in profits since the current contract has been in place. And those are American dollars too.

Pretty soon we'll be talking real money.

Falconjet:I think that the actual profits are a little bit higher. It's close to $1 BILLION for FY 2005 alone.

Fr8tDoggie: I believe you are correct. I couldn't locate the article that I read about our profits and was afraid I had under-represented the amount. Maybe it was an average of about 480 Million per year of the contract that stuck in my head.

That is an important point that needs to be reiterated by our leadership: the company is making money hand over fist partly due to our efforts and the new contract should reflect that fact.

Thanks for the correction.

FJ

The major BS points

FedEx Express is pushing to fast-track its pilot negotiations,

They have been dragging their feet for over a year.

$500 million in raises and signing bonuses

Sounds good, but severely scewed information.

FedEx spokeswoman Kristin Krause says the offer gives pilots "much greater job stability than any of their industry counterparts" and "brings a quick end to negotiations," allowing them to extend their lead with "what is easily the best contract in the airline industry today."

Didn't know we had the best contract - WOW!

Pilots, she said, will continue to be able to work out scheduling differences in monthly meetings with management.

Monthly meetings are to develope bid packs, work rules will never change in "monthly meetings"

The signing bonuses FedEx is offering are tied to seniority and max out at $40,000 for 15-year captains and second officers.

What about the First Officers? ; )

By fiscal year 2007, that pilot -- lowest on the ladder at FedEx -- would be earning $84,640.

Sounds like 1st year guys will be making $84K - simply not true.

"That looks livable for a first-year guy," Collins said. "Our first year guys make less than $30,000 in salary. If the FedEx guys get this, the UPS guys are going to want at least that, if not more."

See previous

If FedEx pilots take the "same approach that passenger pilots did for years, they can look forward to the situation the passenger pilots have caused their own industry.

The entire passenger airline situation is the pilots fault. Never mind management, 9-11, oil prices, economy... I guess the FedEx pilots will do to our airline what the other bad pilots did to their airlines.

"They have no pension, no job security and have faced huge cuts," Jindel said.

See above

Jindel says the comparison is fair because flying people is harder than packages.

WHAT? No response needed.

The pilots do not want to discuss the issues publicly, fearing a backlash from either the union or the company.
"The majority are not angry," he said. "I'd say most are satisfied with the job and happy to be working for Federal Express. "I personally would have taken the offer, and I think a number of others would have too."

Sounds like the poor pilots are stuck between the union and the company. Not true.

FedEx offer

Bonus and raise totals over five years:

A 15th-year captain flying a wide-body plane would get $90,422 in raises and $40,000 in signing bonus. Total: $130,422

A 15th-year second officer in a wide-body plane would get $55,023 in raises and $40,000 signing bonus. Total: $95,023

A sixth-year first officer flying wide-body plane would get $59,245 in raises and $25,000 signing bonus. Total: $84,245

A two-year first officer flying a narrow body plane would get $46,515 in raises and $19,000 bonus. Total: $65,515 Figures provided by FedEx Express

All numbers scewed - over the life of the contract.

When I read this in the paper today, I had to laugh. It is a good media campaign and it will only go downhill from here.

Goose17

Last edited:
Look...this is business...and we know that.

However, Management has basically told us privately "we are proud of your efforts..." while publically saying "...you guys have it easy, are very well paid, and you are lucky to be doing this instead of flying passengers..."

In other words, they have said "we would rather fight with you in public in the papers and try to paint you as greedy b@stards.."

Well...now that we KNOW the script at how the company will play, I think they have only solidified the pilot group. Anyone thinking we would actually have good faith negotiations can sit back and see the real plan.

The "monthly meeting" is the SIG work. Our SIG committee does outstanding work, but they generally take a pile of rotten lemons and oranges and do their best to make a decent glass of lemonade for the line pilots. They have ZERO input as to what kind of fruit or quality of the fruit they get to work with. They put band-aids on wounds--they don't fix poor work rules. The company is holding up a half-@ssed solution to some tough schedules. Does anyone think the SIG can eliminate turning into a 3 leg trip in the critical period?

I have always been a "praise in public, critique in private" kind of person. However, this "use the media" blitz could really backfire on the company. What if the media picked up these stories in the coming months?

1-The waning benefits of pensions/benefits for non-union employees at FDX. Compare the Q of life for UPS employee verses a FDX employee.

2-The fact many of FDX accidents have had mechanical issues contributing to the accident chain. Is this a function of cost cutting? Poor mx? Buying older (and cheaper) A/C from other carriers?

3-A recent spat of military leave issues with reservists, and a potential pattern of new-hire harrassment and intimidation. A pattern of calls from ACPs to units harrassing busy commanders about the legal and proper activiation of some reservists...

4-A review of executive bonuses, options, and other financial gains made by company officials.

5-More press on the guys who lost FDX ground franchises when activated for the GWOT.

I really enjoy working for this company. I love my crews and co-workers. I'm proud of the company's outstanding repuation. But insulting me in the press by indicating I'm greedy (for wanting more) and stupid (for not understanding how paltry that raise really is) doesn't make me want to even "consider" any offers. Instead, it makes me keep shoveling money into savings accounts and draws me closer to our union committees. Divide and conquer? A 10 or 15% offer might have grabbed up some fish...but I think this lowball just alientated about 97% of the pilot force.

Im hoping this article might put Big Browns feet to the fire. (Could one of you FedEx guys "FedEx" a copy of this to ATL for me...LOL) We start our extended Negotiations tomorrow (May 16th) for two final weeks. Nice job FedEx.

BBDC8

Latest resources

Back