Dare I ask - American Flyers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
millhouse21 said:
So, how much of that $75/Ground does the instructor get? $10?

Something close to that. I was offered a job at AF many many moons ago (mid 90's) and was offered just over 8 bucks an hour. I declined.

siucavflight said:
You get what you pay for. While the other places might be 50 an hour cheaper the overall price is more. When you can get the rating done in half the amount of time American flyers actually comes out less expensive in the long run.

Wrong, I got my private in 35 hrs flat and my instrument in 40 hood and 10 extra without the hood, it was a local FBO. It all depends on the effort of the student and his ability to find an instructor that moves fast and isn't along for the ride to build time. I ran into a few of those and dumped them immediately. Get into a structured program like 141?. It worked for me for my private and I did the rest of my ratings 61.

I

Last edited:
TDTURBO said:
Wrong, I got my private in 35 hrs flat and my instrument in 40 hood and 10 extra without the hood, it was a local FBO. It all depends on the effort of the student and his ability to find an instructor that moves fast and isn't along for the ride to build time. I ran into a few of those and dumped them immediately. Get into a structured program like 135. It worked for me for my private and I did the rest of my ratings 141.

So Turbo you got your private in 35 hours at a 61 school?

I cant speak of what Flyers insturctors used to get paid only what they get now. It is a salary position that pays between 2400 a month to 3500 a month depending on how long you have been there.

Some programs work for some people and not for others. Yes the hourly rate is more, but anyone looking to build flight time winds up instructing or flying traffic something like that, the people who come to Flyers want in and out in as little amount of time as possible.

Again you get what you pay.

Just asked a pal of mine if they really charge him $185, sure do, and they also have a 2% CREDIT CARD SERVICE CHARGE!!!!!

siucavflight said:
So Turbo you got your private in 35 hours at a 61 school?

I cant speak of what Flyers insturctors used to get paid only what they get now. It is a salary position that pays between 2400 a month to 3500 a month depending on how long you have been there.

Some programs work for some people and not for others. Yes the hourly rate is more, but anyone looking to build flight time winds up instructing or flying traffic something like that, the people who come to Flyers want in and out in as little amount of time as possible.

Again you get what you pay.

No, I corrected that last post to mean 141, it can be done, at least 22 yrs ago.

Metro752 said:
Anyone here ever deal with them? They keep calling me.

I asked them what their rates were, $185/hr for a 172 with instructor. $75/ hour for ground.

Why would anyone go to that, seriously, when places are 50-60 $$$$ an hour cheaper!?

Send me a PM if you wish and I will share some experiences with you regarding AF

Bluecruiser said:
$12/hr

nice way to build moral and keep your experienced employee's around.....

I believe that their instructors are salaried....

But I guess you know better. When I was getting my training there there were many instructors who had been there three or more years.

Latest resources

Back