• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dare I ask - American Flyers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone here ever deal with them? They keep calling me.

I asked them what their rates were, $185/hr for a 172 with instructor. $75/ hour for ground.

Why would anyone go to that, seriously, when places are 50-60 $$$$ an hour cheaper!?

I have to admit that I am a product of the 'Flyers' machine. At one time, their product was very good (good instructors are the key as well as a well organized training program). I haven't dealt with them in a few years though. I instructed at their Chicago locations as well as Addison, Tx for two weeks. In general, their instructors were excellent but every school has their 10% rule. 'Flyers' ' forte is their instrument training program. It is what the school was founded on way back in the day. A very well organized program that is, not only easy to learn from, but easy to teach as well. The other well organized program that they have and is worth the money is their instructor training academy. At some locations they will let you "practice instruct" real students prior to your checkride. There is a way to minimize your training expenses with them though. During dual instruction, you can provide your own airplane (if you own one) or use theirs and then use a less expensive one for your solo work. (that saved me a TON of money!) We used to try to keep one student down to around 4 instructors meaning that you could get any one of 4 or 5 instructors any time your schedule allows for flight time. If you think about that for a moment, 4 different prospectives on one task might seem excessive but that can help you "get" something when you run into a mental barrier. 4 instructors helps you with scheduling flying time around your schedule, not your instructors. Again, I haven't been there in a while but I would advise you to talk to them. They usually did a good job of "weeding out" bad instructors. But beware, 'Flyers is there as a business first and a school second. That means you need to be careful with your finances (you need to do this no matter where you decide to spend your money on training as all schools and instructors are trying to make money). Not trying to scare you, just use common sense and you should be fine. Good luck and have fun training.

If I were looking to fly there, this guy scared me off with $185/hr flight in a 172, and $75/hr. Yeah sure it's great for them and their instructors. I don't know. He said at least $11,000 for an instrument rating from scratch.

Metro752 said:
Why would anyone go to that, seriously, when places are 50-60 $$$$ an hour cheaper!?

You get what you pay for. While the other places might be 50 an hour cheaper the overall price is more. When you can get the rating done in half the amount of time American flyers actually comes out less expensive in the long run.

Last edited:
So, how much of that $75/Ground does the instructor get? $10?

siucavflight said:
You get what you pay for. While the other places might be 50 an hour cheaper the overall price is more. When you can get the rating done in half the amount of time American flyers actually comes out less expensive in the long run.

... which, even if that's true (I doubt it), doesn't amount to a hill of beans if the customer's looking to build time to move on to the next level. That money could have been spent building hours instead of AF's bank account.

Latest resources

Back