• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Damn my CFI expired... options???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll second the request for a good DPE around MKE. Mine expired about a year ago.

try Al Englehardt (sp) out of the pwk area. Back in the day when I sent him students, he did a bunch of airline and military cfi/atp's and he was real world and fair. United guy that has flown the whole line of equiptment.
Try google and search for him.

How do people forget when their CFI expires? As the date comes close, your mailbox will be full of junk mail from all the FIRC companies advertising their stuff? That's how I remembered that mine was about to expire.

I reinstated mine by just asking my POI to reinstate it during my 297 ride. I talked him through a steep turn, a stall, and a landing and that was it! Easy money.

If you're flying for a certificate holder, a lot of times the FAA will shoot you a reinstatement with a recurrency, or will handle it over the counter at the FSDO as courtesy. However, barring that you're looking at reinstating it.

You don't need to do a checkride for one of the ratings on your certificate...you can do a checkride for a new rating, and still reinstate the old ratings, too. For example, if you don't hold flight instructor privileges in a glider, you can go do a glider add on to your instructor certificate, and passing the practical test for that add on will reinstate your certificate. If you're going to spend the money, why not get something new and perhaps learn something in the process? If you don't have instrument priviliges for instruction...go do the CFII...that is as good as a reinstatement ride, but you get more bang for your buck. You see my point.

I've let mine expire twice over the years, and have found it's easier and less expensive to go with renewals, than reinstatement. It does creep up on you...but then I've seen a lot of pilots run right up to the last day on their medicals before the alarm goes off and they're rushing get it done...if you're not using the CFI, it's easy to forget.

With Sport Pilot and a host of other changes that have taken place, a lot may be new or different from the last time you reupped the CFI. Even the basic teaching concepts have had quite a facelift over the last year or two. Getting some recurrent isntruction before reinstating the certificate isn't a bad thing.

try Al Englehardt (sp) out of the pwk area. Back in the day when I sent him students, he did a bunch of airline and military cfi/atp's and he was real world and fair. United guy that has flown the whole line of equiptment.
Try google and search for him.

Liar! this guy is a messed up ass!!

During the last three months my instructor certificate was current, I interviewed and got a new job, went through training to learn a new aircraft and new 135 op specs, moved across the country, and discovered my wife was pregnant. Its not that I forgot about renewing it, I just had more important things on my mind at the time. I think thats how most people end up letting it lapse.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back