DALPA Rep Says no go to merger....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And let Northwest get back to theirs:

Northwest cancellations: Will NWA be grounded?

Posted Jul 24th 2007 6:10PM by Kevin Shult
Filed under: Bad news, Consumer experience, Competitive strategy, AMR Corp (AMR), UAL Corp (UAUA), Delta Air Lines (DAL), Stocks to Sell
Since it came out of bankruptcy two months ago, Northwest Airlines (NYSE: NWA) has canceled a significant amount of flights because of a pilot shortage. Over 147 Northwest flights were canceled over the past weekend and more than 60 were canceled on Monday. By mid-day today, 30 more were grounded.

While these recent cancellations don't compare to the 1,000 flights that were cut in June, Northwest failed to meet the industry's target of 98.0% completed flights. The numbers are also worse than Northwest's rivals' performances. USA Today reported that Northwest's 76 cancellations Sunday totaled 5.6% of the day's flights. In comparison, American Airlines (NYSE: AMR) cut six flights, United Airlines (NASDAQ: UAUA) canceled 33 and Delta (NYSE: DAL) cut four. All provide more daily flights than Northwest.

Ummm, look at the date. Not exactly current info.

That was the critical flaw in their strategy, the desire to get the best deal for their guys and not a fair deal for all. It never entered their consciousness that this wasn't about posturing and then arbitrating the hard choices. They sent a Jurasic merger team with a long history of never achieving a negotiated result and then wondered why this time the result wasn't different.

Are you guys all on the negotiating committees or something? How the F do you all know so much about what's been going on???

We know the news leaks are BS. We know the rumors are best guesses. So how in the hell are you all so confident that what you think is true?

It's crazy that so many supposedly intelligent people are arguing about something that they have virtually no knowledge of.

All that I've gleaned from these threads is that some of the Delta pilots think that the world revolves around them and that they are better than everyone else in the universe.

So here's my question... If someone merges with Delta will they become, "better than everyone else" too?

You sir, are an ass.

Because......for what reason would that be? For stating the postion that NWA's "cowboy(s)" pitched at the negotiations? NWA's group of "leaders" makes the Manson family look like the Cleavers. It appears that NWA has a significantly disfunctional collection of pilots, or subsection of pilots, that border on irrational in their actions and statements.

For as much as this merger would have gained the two companies, maybe it is a positive in the long run that this has failed or is failing now. Who wants to go to work in an environment filled with left over anger and hate after 20 years of fences only to hear the words "__checklist" during a four day trip and thats it?

Ed

Last edited:
All that I've gleaned from these threads is that some of the Delta pilots think that the world revolves around them and that they are better than everyone else in the universe.

So here's my question... If someone merges with Delta will they become, "better than everyone else" too?

It appears you have issues.

Last edited:
Hi!

AF bought KLM a couple of years ago. They most recently just bought Alitalia.

That's one of the reasons for this merger, AF's CEO said it would be much better for AF if they merged.

cliff
YIP

PS-I'll be MORE surprised if the merger isn't done. I'll be less surprised if it is done without the pilots and they'll end up in arbitration. I think they will reach an agreement and then they'll merge.

Who gives a rats ass how many isles are in the back of the thing...pay rates is what it is all about as well as it is a sinlge catagorey at DAL.

Perhaps for you I could just put it this way for you - "DAL has three times the number of big shinny jets when compared to NWAs big shinney ones"

You're close Jester but it's actually 4 times.

NWA has 60 wide bodies times 3 =

We have 245 aircraft last count that pay wide body rates. That would be 4 times the aircraft at wide body rates.
Not to mention the 777-LR's that are coming on board this year and next, along with the 757 ER's we gained.
In the mean time NWA is building compass.

KILL IT!!!!!!!!!!!

You're close Jester but it's actually 4 times.

NWA has 60 wide bodies times 3 =

We have 245 aircraft last count that pay wide body rates. That would be 4 times the aircraft at wide body rates.
Not to mention the 777-LR's that are coming on board this year and next, along with the 757 ER's we gained.
In the mean time NWA is building compass.

KILL IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not worry. The word out of the most recently held LEC meeting has this deal as officially coded and pronouced dead. It was approached with the reasonable man theory. It did not succeed.

Part of the blame can be laid at the feet of the DALPA for having bad or no intel on the group they were dealing with. Perhaps their approach in negotiating with them was thus destined for failure.

The other portion of blame can be attributed to the NWALPA for being largely unprepared for the talks and then tossing out an outrageous opener to position themselves for an aribitration. I guess if that is all you know how to do after 20 years...then do it. Again, back to DALPA's intel failure.

Ed

Part of the blame can be laid at the feet of the DALPA for having bad or no intel on the group they were dealing with.
Ed

DALPA created the opportunity and created the the prerequisite that for any merger to succeed pilots must play a role from the inception and our issues must be dealt with up front.

It takes a different approach, unfortunately not everyone involved in the process got it. NWALPA brought a one trick poney to the SLI negotiations and then scratched their heads and wondered why the results weren't different this time.

DALPA opened with a fair integration methodolgy for all, with the intention of avoiding the quibbling and posturing that predictably leads to arbitration. The one trick pony committee did what they have consistently done for 2 decades. They postured for the best deal imagineable. The end result was predictable but regrettable. At least we tried.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back