Dallas Area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whirlwind said:
That is good advice, for anything in life.

I tend to think so.

They are expensive, and they have the same mix of good and bad CFIs as any place.

Having flown with all of the CFI's at the flyers in Addison, I can say that they have some outstanding ones and some good ones. I can't think of one that I felt was bad.

What are they charging for dual in a 172 these days?

I try not to think of it in terms of per/hr, but the cost of the program. The per/hr cost is expensive, but the program cost is certainly competitive with other schools.

I don't think that is true. The key is to find a good CFI who wants to work with you on an accelerated course to get you the ticket quickly and efficently.

Not all CFIs can or want to do this.

True, but I have personally seen two guys go from zero to hero in 36 hours. The instructors all know the costs and work very hard to teach the students well. There is no incentive for them to keep people around.

Just curious, but who did you fly with?

Monarch, Classic, AF, Flightline(or star can't remember).

highflying said:
Does Monach hire instructors off the street or do they tend to stay in house?

They do hire instructors off the street, as well as hire those who get their ratings there.

messdaddy said:
What are they charging for dual in a 172 these days?
I try not to think of it in terms of per/hr, but the cost of the program. The per/hr cost is expensive, but the program cost is certainly competitive with other schools.

Eh? Now you've confused me...

If the per hour cost is higher, then it is higher, period.

True, but I have personally seen two guys go from zero to hero in 36 hours.

Ahh, but I find nothing impressive with that. In 36 hours, you've been prepped for the checkride, but not much else. You barely have a license to learn.

My 2 cents...

American Flyers

I attended American Flyers at Addison about a year ago. At the time I knew nothing. I wish that I knew of this sites existence so I would not have made such a huge mistake. Long story short I spent $30000 for 0 time to CFI. I was very niave, and anxious to start. In the end this cost me $$. As for the quality of their instructors they are just as good (or in a couple of cases bad) as any other school. The main difference is price. In 99 I was spending approx $130 an hour for dual in a C172. The school I later taught for in San Antonio was about $90 for dual in a 172 and about $75 for a 150/152.
At the time Flyers was one of the only schools in the area that I was able to get a loan for through Sally Mae. Today they are alot more schools eligable, with better loan offers.
My brother attends a school in florida called Ari Ben Aviator. You have to have your private before you go. This is very prudent since that should only cost about 5 grand or less. And you dont want to get tied to $30000 loan and realize after 50 hours of flying that this isnt for you. They quote 25000 dollars and take you from private to CFI CFII and MEI. Living quarters are included for three or four months i believe.
But if you want to stay in the dallas area you still have alot of choices like Redbird, Mecham, Mckinney, and Denton all have flight schools in adition to addison. Also flying out of addison you waste alot of time flying to the pracitce area, where as out of denton and mckinny you are right there. This will save you alot of time and $$ since you spend 10 to 15 or more minutes each way flying out of Addison.
As for Ari Ben i am sure there are people here that have first hand experinece with the school and will be more than happy to vent as I did with Flyers if there are any negatives associated with the school.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Good Luck
Bobby:D

Depending on where you live in the D/FW area, there are other options too. Mesquite has a decent little FBO, though it's not much to look at (cheap!). A couple at Redbird (Dallas Executive) are okay; not great, but cheap. Also there's Arlington, I'm out there and it's pretty good. Point is, look around. Best of luck!

I am at NorthWest Regional, small uncontrolled, but very friendly people and good prices. 172SP 2002,2001 at $85.00 , 172M $70.00 152 @57.00 Decath. at 75.00. MarcairAviation.com

Wow, $25/hr for basic instruction and $85/hr for a 172SP, that is a good price!

Since you are Female I'm sure you wouldn't mind having a female instructor. I used to work at Monarch and they always have about 3-5 female instructors all of the time. I was in there last week and I saw three in there that day. I worked two places before Monarch one other at ADS and Monarch is by far the best place. They don't try to rip you off like other places I know of and the instructors are very flexable. The airplanes are all in good shape and its family owned by a retired Delta pilot and his son an American pilot. Fly out of ADS if for no other reason the opportunities on the field. I went from CFI to Falcon 20 captain in under a year and a half and thats including a short trip to a commuter airline that got me a furlough letter. The opportunities are endless at ADS. Everyone on the field seems to be very nice and willing to help. If you are planning on flying for a living know that its who ya know not what ya know most of the time.
Good luck!

I know an instructor who flys out of Denton, I am using her 150 right now. She charges $45 for the plane alone or $70 for dual. The plane is in good shape, not beat up like a lot of the other stuff I've seen... E-mail me if you want her info.

[email protected]

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back