Dal Q1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Linedriver

Better than who?? Heck, Yonited lost less than they did.

Its gonna get ugly down in Atlanta.

I hope it doesn't get ugly down in Atlanta. Other than this board, I haven't heard anything about furloughs.

You can't value an airline based on 1 quarter results but going forward I would rather be here than several other places. Some of the most saught after airlines have ground to a halt. FEDEX furloughs are looming, Southwest growth has stopped for now and is considering early out incentives for various levels and still other airlines are seeking mergers.

I'm not against any airline - I hope they all pull out here. I'm just saying that with all things considered, I think Delta is a good place to be.

Yesterday Delta stock was stock of the day on CNBC! Today AAI is doing fantastic! You know what I think about that? Super!!!! I hope all the airline stocks go through the roof. With the hedges, going forward, I think you will see strong quarters out of most or all of the airlines.

I bet that DAL has early outs too.

Looking to be 800 overstaffed for the winter, and if they do not pair down the summer 2010 sked, we will be short next summer.
As always we staff for summer.
No furloughs planned, but PERPS/early outs are an option to keep displacements to a min.

DAL went into BK in '05 and they've been deeply in the red ever since. Every quarter GL and, as of late, ACL65 are on here telling us how we have to read between the lines and that everything is really going well at Big D despite the reported losses.

I don't have the time nor inclination to go back and reread all those threads from previous quarters, but if I did they would be basically be exactly the same as this one. IOW:

1. Excluding one time exemptions we really only lost $XX hundreds of millions.

2. Our international market is a gold mine and it's going to pay off real soon.

3. While we lost $XX hundreds of millions this quarter we expect to be profitable for the whole year.

4. Our management team is the smartest in the entire industry and the results from their ingenious decisions will soon be apparent.

So far none of DAL's predictions about profitability have happened and it's been almost 4 years since you went into BK. DAL is not financially well. I'm not suggesting you are in any danger of failing, but unless drastic cost controls and/or huge revenue gains are realized you are not going to show any real profit any time soon. Creative accounting or not, a company cannot continue to report quarterly losses of hundreds of millions of dollars indefinitely.

Four years and counting.......

Count some more.
Read the 8K and 10K's. Look at all of the non cash write offs.
BK sucked, no doubt about it. We were mismanaged to a T.
I bet we still make money this year. Not a lot but some.

I would not want to be at any other airline.

I agree that big rewards come with big risk. We have risked a lot. No one discredits that. But if you dig in to these financial reports you will see something that goes against what you are saying.

Remember that since 2005 DAL has been reorganizing. We are doing that now, just not under court protection.
All of those pretty new signs, uniforms, gate houses, painted airplanes, et al cost lots of cash. Those are the one time items.
Furthermore. DAL is not leasing its newest jets from places like IFLC, they are buying and self financing them. That says a ton about our financial position.

I sleep well at night knowing what I know. I would not at some of the other carriers out there.

DAL went into BK in '05 and they've been deeply in the red ever since. Every quarter GL and, as of late, ACL65 are on here telling us how we have to read between the lines and that everything is really going well at Big D despite the reported losses.

I don't have the time nor inclination to go back and reread all those threads from previous quarters, but if I did they would be basically be exactly the same as this one. IOW:

1. Excluding one time exemptions we really only lost $XX hundreds of millions.

2. Our international market is a gold mine and it's going to pay off real soon.

3. While we lost $XX hundreds of millions this quarter we expect to be profitable for the whole year.

4. Our management team is the smartest in the entire industry and the results from their ingenious decisions will soon be apparent.

So far none of DAL's predictions about profitability have happened and it's been almost 4 years since you went into BK. DAL is not financially well. I'm not suggesting you are in any danger of failing, but unless drastic cost controls and/or huge revenue gains are realized you are not going to show any real profit any time soon. Creative accounting or not, a company cannot continue to report quarterly losses of hundreds of millions of dollars indefinitely.

Four years and counting.......

You are speaking from a position of stupidity. Worst of all, you don't even realize it. There is plenty of room for you on the regional board. You are merely going to get eaten here.

ACL, seriously? You wouldn't want to be at any other airline? It appears that Air Tran and SWA are a couple of airlines that quickly come to mind that are in better shape than Delta.

You can't be at an outfit that consistantly has more going out than coming in and think they are in great shape. Eventually you have to pay the piper. That is just common sense.

Linedriver

Better than who?? Heck, Yonited lost less than they did.

Its gonna get ugly down in Atlanta.
Finally some entertainment.
All the trolls are coming out from under their rock.
What's the matter chuck, that furlough from midwest hurting in the pocket?
Don't worry, your boy Obama just extended your unemployment benefits.

Tanker Clown said:
ACL, seriously? You wouldn't want to be at any other airline? It appears that Air Tran and SWA are a couple of airlines that quickly come to mind that are in better shape than Delta.
And yet not too long ago you were on the Southwest boards talking about furloughs. Funny, seems that Delta didn't furlough and Air Tran did. Maybe that crystal ball of yours is a little dirty from where its been.
Don't you have a superior officer's ass to kiss, or office to clean?

Tanker Clown said:
You can't be at an outfit that consistantly has more going out than coming in and think they are in great shape. Eventually you have to pay the piper. That is just common sense.
I'm sure you know a lot about paying the piper, as that's how you make your living.:blush:
Seriously, how do you find time to play on the computer with all those copies and phone calls to make. Besides, its almost 5:00. I'm sure by now the colonel is waiting for his afternoon coffee!

Last edited:
DAL has some bruises, but I am willing to bet, as I did by coming and staying at DAL that they are going to be better off than many other carriers will be in five years.

I'm sure those unemployment benefits will come in handy to you Delta guys when they shut down Song. You Deltoids better start looking into the furlough language in your contract (should still be fresh in your mind) and where the local unemployment office is.

DAL has some bruises, but I am willing to bet, as I did by coming and staying at DAL that they are going to be better off than many other carriers will be in five years.

Congrats on being healthier than United and US Air. That's like being the fastest kid in the special olympics.

Latest resources

Back