DAL Pilots to Picket in MSP and DTW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Harmony through leverage?
When you have them by the short hairs, their hearts and minds will follow.

The NWA pilots left 2 Billion and relative seniority on the table. The NWA pilots expected a screw job. It appears expectations are being met.

NWA pilots causing a problem? NWA management's solution... do the deal without the pilots.

I do not like it either. This kind of brinkmanship is exactly what leads to disasterous mergers.

Last edited:
Even though some of the DAL pilots may see short term gains here, long term I see a very divided pilot group. We CANNOT sell out NWAALPA for this deal. If we do that we will never be able to fight a unified flight.
Anything that does this may benefit me personally, but I would never vote for it. Simply because some things are bigger than me.

I like FDJ's comments on who needs the whack with the shovel. That is open to a lot of interpretation. I would venture to guess that this deal will be done very quickly or it will end up like USAir. I doubt that there will be much middle ground.

Who knows what this means!?! This sounds like another scope sale to me.

I agree. I can see it now.

"The Delta pilots agree to a 2% pay raise in 2012 and 100 million in equity in the new company (distribution to be determined at a later date) in return for eliminating their merger and fragmentation protections and allowing an additional 100 76 seat RJs. In related news, Lee Moak is announced as the next VP of flight ops at Delta."

I certainly hope not. It sounds like "stick 'em with a B-scale until they cave." That would lay an egg of disunity which would hatch during the next contract negotiation, to the delight of management. :bomb:

The voice of reason and experience. Thank you, Tom. TC

P.S.--This is an effort to strong-arm the NWA pilots into accepting DALPA's deal. Anyone who is afraid of arbitration has something to hide...

Even though some of the DAL pilots may see short term gains here, long term I see a very divided pilot group. We CANNOT sell out NWAALPA for this deal. If we do that we will never be able to fight a unified flight.
Anything that does this may benefit me personally, but I would never vote for it. Simply because some things are bigger than me.

I like FDJ's comments on who needs the whack with the shovel. That is open to a lot of interpretation. I would venture to guess that this deal will be done very quickly or it will end up like USAir. I doubt that there will be much middle ground.

I don't think RA or DALPA is stupid enough to sell the NWA pilots out. I think there is a little leakage here and there in the media to put pressure on both sides to work something out. This may be the last chance to "agree" on something that will be far less painful than the alternative which will soon follow and rear its ugly head(s).

Can you see the headline? ALPA pickets ALPA!

Today Air Line Pilots picketed the Air Line Pilots' offices of the Northwest Airlines Master Executive Counsel. In related news, 1,800 Delta pilots filed a group grievance because Delta management dispatched flights to Minneapolis St. Paul using "load optimization" software which the Delta pilots contend illegally reduced their non-revenue travel benefits, stopping them from participating in their lawful expression on the picket line.​

The half dozen pilots on the picket line were local pilots and two that found rides on Delta Connection Jumpseats. Pilot Robert Smith, who had flown for ASA, said he managed to get around the load optimization software by moving all the checked bags to the forward cabin of a CRJ200. FAA approved aircraft loading procedures do not count cabin bags according to unnamed sources.

The inflatable rat also fell victim to load optimization and will be brought by truck from Philadelphia as soon as evidenciary hearings in litigation brought by the US Air pilots who claim custody of the rat is resolved.​

Last edited:
Yes, and that is what has me worried.
I agree with what we have talked about FIN. National has to rear its children it, if not all is lost. We are two of the big four. Not good for long term viability of this union.
I am guessing that all will work out in the end. Problem is that NWA is probably listening to our old ALPA president and they may be making some bad assumptions.

I agree. I can see it now.

"The Delta pilots agree to a 2% pay raise in 2012 and 100 million in equity in the new company (distribution to be determined at a later date) in return for eliminating their merger and fragmentation protections and allowing an additional 100 76 seat RJs. In related news, Lee Moak is announced as the next VP of flight ops at Delta."

I agree as well.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back