Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

abenaki

DAL Opentime And The Furloughees

Before I start this one, I just want to say that I don't have a dog in this potential fight..........

Was yacking with some pilots the other day who told me that DAL has a fair amount of open time that is being picked up by currently employed DAL pilots. The question was raised that if the DAL pilots stopped picking up open time, that a few/some/many of their furloughed brothers and sisters could return to work.

One even related a personal story of discussing this with a DAL pilot who said that he needed that open time to make his boat payment. Now whether that was true or just a good story, I don't know. But, with all the screaming back and forth between mainline and the regional subsidiaries, it would seem, assuming that there IS open time, that the DAL pilots could help their own out by not picking up that open time and "transferring" that flying back to their furloughed friends.

Is this true? And what are your thoughts? Just curious.....

Last edited:
I believe you're referring to green slipping. The one reason they pick up the open time is because they get double pay for it. Do the math and you will know why they grab it. $$$$$$$$$

For those guys who can't resist the Green slips, I hope you remember your last furlough.

There are 3 furloughed DAL pilots and 1 on the bubble at my ANG unit. They've got about a dozen kids between them and are working in the ANG and one is doing a part time job outside the miltary. Nobody is on food stamps, but c'mon...dudes makin' extra coin while other dudes are getting furloughed monthly?

I have no dog in the fight directly either, but I am an ALPA member and I wonder what DALPA's position on the issue is.

AlbieF15 said:
For those guys who can't resist the Green slips, I hope you remember your last furlough.

There are 3 furloughed DAL pilots and 1 on the bubble at my ANG unit. They've got about a dozen kids between them and are working in the ANG and one is doing a part time job outside the miltary. Nobody is on food stamps, but c'mon...dudes makin' extra coin while other dudes are getting furloughed monthly?

I have no dog in the fight directly either, but I am an ALPA member and I wonder what DALPA's position on the issue is.

Am I missing something? You're whining about your DAL buddies being furloughed, but they're still flying in the ANG and bringing home a paycheck( and remaining instrument current) on the taxpayers dime. Your buddies ought to be thankfull they aren't working at Home Depot.

inline,

Am I missing something? You're whining about your DAL buddies being furloughed, but they're still flying in the ANG and bringing home a paycheck( and remaining instrument current) on the taxpayers dime. Your buddies ought to be thankfull they aren't working at Home Depot.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

That government check gets very addicitive.

rjcap said:
inline,

I was thinking the exact same thing.

That government check gets very addicitive.
If that govt check was as good as you seem to think, everyone would be doing it. Believe me, the guys that are flying military right now are earning every penny and it is a lot fewer pennies than they were making before being furloughed.

OK, lets not go down the ANG route....Those guys are serving their country and have done so.....good for them that they have a little back-up being furloughed.....

So, the bottom line as I've heard it so far is that DAL guys are continuing to "greenslip" for the major money they can get while doing so while their "brothers and sisters" are out on the street. And if that green-slipping completely stopped, a few/some/many of the furloughees would be able to return to work. Does that about sum it up?

How can a DAL pilot, in good conscience, be knowingly responsible for putting one of his co-workers out of work so he can grab some extra cash?

That is incomprehensible to me.

It is called being an "opentime whore" and you will have a tuff time getting these guys to understand what this does to others. Aviation has many people that have the classic attitude "I've got mine so screw you"

The boat payment thing is probably true!

Some opentime would be needed to take care of unusual expenses like sick parents and such.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** guys, I cannot believe someone is whining and inferring that those Guard guys are skating on the taxpayer’s shirttails. Those guys are earning every bit of their paycheck so people like you can are allowed to whine. I ended up in this sand box, though I do not like but it is a job. Yes I am sure they are thankful as I am (Furloughed ABX) that the Guard offered them a position what ever it is. We (ABX) have pilots doing open flying also and it does upset the rest of us. It appears that UPS was risking the same problems but their union apparently has a stronger leadership so their open flying is not being done. And INLINEand RJCAP, when you all put a uniform on and I mean a MILITARY uniform on then you will be in a better position to criticize.Carry on.
j

Last edited:
Probably they pick up open time because they figure that if they don't some one else will. And if no one picks it up they will run the reserves ragged.
It takes a major company wide effort to overcome open time staffing practices and it just is not going to happen at places like DAl, UAL, AA etc... to much greed......it is the lure of easy money and baby it is addictive

Latest resources

Back