Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
Any insights on the new guy? Why the change at such a critical time?

AP
Delta Pilots Union Changes Leaders
Friday August 26, 6:00 pm ET
By Harry R. Weber, AP Business Writer Delta Pilots Union Selects New Executive Committee Chairman Amid Bankruptcy Protection Worries

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines Inc.'s pilots union elected a new chairman for its executive committee Friday, changing leaders amid worries the nation's third-largest carrier may file for bankruptcy protection.

[size=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/size]
if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("");if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=8ZFl.thtfJDt4kfgQw9HqwD0RYCWTkMPuvQACsCg&T=1baqv5c3s%2fX%3d1125104372%2fE%3d8988914%2fR%3dfin%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d2865813121%2fH%3dY29icmFuZD0iPGEgaHJlZj1odHRwOi8vd3d3LmFwLm9yZz48aW1nIGJvcmRlcj0wIHNyYz1odHRwOi8vdXMuaTEueWltZy5jb20vdXMueWltZy5jb20vaS91cy9maS9nci9wYXJ0bmVyX2xvZ29zL2FwXzE3MHgzMy5naWYgYWx0PUFQPjwvYT4iIGNhY2hlaGludD0iODk4ODkxNCIgY2FjaGVoaW50PSI4OTg4OTE0Ig--%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dD3776DD8');yzq_a('a', '&U=139t2adrm%2fN%3dTiP0K9htfF8-%2fC%3d355187.6662447.7690814.1383221%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d2829007');}
b
Lee Moak defeated current chair John Malone, whose two-year term ends Oct. 1.

Malone, who has held key union positions since being hired by Delta in 1988, was chairman at the time the union agreed last year to $1 billion in annual concessions.

Union spokeswoman Kelly Collins declined to comment Friday when asked if the union's strategy with the airline will change under Moak's direction. She said Moak was on a flight and not available for comment.

Last week, Atlanta-based Delta warned its pilots union that the airline's cash reserves had fallen to the point where the company might need to revise last year's agreement to avoid a bankruptcy filing.

That deal included a bankruptcy protection letter saying the airline would not seek more concessions unless its cash position fell below a certain level.

In a memo to pilots, the union said Delta has informed it that the company's cash reserves have fallen below that point. The exact threshold was not specified.

While the company could ask for more cuts, it's unlikely Delta would pursue further concessions or significant changes to the pilots contract outside of bankruptcy given how long such negotiations can take.

Despite last year's concessions from the pilots, Delta's financial situation has worsened amid persistently high fuel costs. The company has lost nearly $10 billion since January 2001.

Also Friday, the Delta MEC Executive Council, a unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, elected Tim Canoll, an Atlanta-based pilot, as executive committee vice chairman. Kingsley Roberts, an Atlanta-based pilot, was elected secretary-treasurer.

Delta shares fell 5 cents, or 3.7 percent, to close at $1.30 in trading Friday on the New York Stock Exchange.

Delta Air Lines Inc.: http://www.delta.com

At NetJets, we had an MEC member get his 737 type during one of the most contentious parts of negotiations.

Change would have been good for us, maybe it will be for Delta.

there has been very, very little information about the MEC election. From what I gather though, there has been some resentment toward Malone about his....tactics...shaw we say. Lots of closed door, secret hand shake stuff. Ruffled some feathers and now its bit him.

Don't know what to think about Moak, since I know nothing about him. But I have to say, I personally have found the MEC to be very unresponsive to the pilots needs and concerns while Malone was in office, so I am not sure this is a bad thing.

densoo said:
The pilots don't want to give up another billion?
Could be....

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
michael707767 said:
I personally have found the MEC to be very unresponsive to the pilots needs and concerns while Malone was in office, so I am not sure this is a bad thing.
Understood, but given the situation there was not any good news for the politicians to trumpet and I'm sure the MEC was very, very, busy trying to find a light at the end of the tunnel.

~~~^~~~ said:
... and I'm sure the MEC was very, very, busy trying to find a light at the end of the tunnel.

They better hope that "light" is not the headlight on a locomotive.

~~~^~~~ said:
Word I am getting from folks who have worked with these pilots first hand is that these guys represent the radical element of the Delta pilot group and were Bill Buergey's Executive Administrator and Communications guys during C2K.
QUOTE]

Buergey? I thought Giambusso was the MEC Chairman during C2K. Are you sure about your "first hand" sources?

michael707767 said:
there has been very, very little information about the MEC election. From what I gather though, there has been some resentment toward Malone about his....tactics...shaw we say. Lots of closed door, secret hand shake stuff. Ruffled some feathers and now its bit him.

Don't know what to think about Moak, since I know nothing about him. But I have to say, I personally have found the MEC to be very unresponsive to the pilots needs and concerns while Malone was in office, so I am not sure this is a bad thing.

If you have issues about being "unresponsive" you need to look to your elected Capt & FO reps. They are the MEC.

Moak doesn't like that Malone took a hardline during the give back. Moak's position is that the DAL pilots should have given more.

Let's see. Do you want a guy that's going to just walk in and say, take what ever you need without verifying if it's really needed? Or a person that holds the line and looks at all the info before giving something back?

I will bet that if this goes south for the DAL pilots that the new people will blame Malone and his group.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back