Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Iflyamouse

Is it time for lunch yet?
I hate Buddy passes as much as the next guy ... but I'm trying it anyway.

DAL says there's a buddy pass embargo from Jan 1 - Jan 3. The flight I'm trying to put a buddy on is on Jan 1 and, as of right now, the flight isn't even 1/2 full.

Is DAL really strict with these embargoes or is there some discretion to the local station to put someone on if there is room?

Play devils advocate for just a minute. Would you as the gate agent sign your name and put a buddy pass rider on even though there is a company wide embargo??? I sure wouldn't want to be looking for a job in this economy. Good luck with your buddy pass. I only give them out to people I don't like because by the end of their trip they will hate you for giving it to them.

I wouldn't risk it if I were you. You may luck out and get a gate agent dumb enough not to realize there is an embargo but chances are there will be something on their screen that will prevent them from being able to issue a seat to a non-rev.

I ran into this last year. They had an embargo date when they combined the reservation system from NWA. The flights were wide open that day but no buddy passes.

If you're booking in TravelNet on DLNet, I believe it will not even allow you to make the listing on an embargoed date.

There is so much automation in place I doubt the system would allow a buddy pass rider to fly during an embargo.

Typical of the EE. They want you to take personal responsibility and treat each passenger as an individual. When it comes to employees, zeese are zee rules und vee have vays of making you follow zem! F the EE!

The system is set up such that even a customer service agent can't override the system and put a buddy pass rider on a flight during the embargo dates. In fact, if you have a connection and the connection gets delayed until after midnight (east coast time) on the 31st, they won't be able to board. In summary, if they must fly on an embargo date, buy a ticket.

The system will let you book it on an embargo date, but the computer at the ticket desk won't let it activate. I tried sending someone on a flight with 70 open seats on an embargo date, and it worked up until the moment they had to check in. Why it lets you book it in travelnet though, who knows.

Look on delta.com, I've found it is actually cheaper to purchase a revenue ticket on the same flight half the time.

Latest resources

Back