Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dad dying, ashes spread in Alaska by plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am sorry to hear about your loss, my friend.

I hope you and your entire family will get through these most trying times in the least amount of pain possible.

I can't imagine what you are going through..

3 5 0

Snakum,
I know what you're going through. My dad died of cancer a few months ago. It hasn't gotten any easier, we really miss him. It sounds like your father was one of the good guys. My condolences to you and your family.

Lead Sled

My dad died of cancer a few months ago. It hasn't gotten any easier, we really miss him.
My condolences to you, as well. I was hoping to hear that it got easier after a few days, though. :(

Despite my age, and despite having spent so many years on meditation cushions learning that the only thing we are generally guaranteed as human beings is change and suffering, I have really been having a hard time with this one. My brothers and I (four sons, no daughters) have always been very close to my Dad, and he was as much a 'best friend' as he was a 'father'. He was transfered a lot and so my family grew to be much closer than most, as we never had more than a very few close friends outside of the family. It was always sort of "us against the world".

He taught us how to ride motorcycles, break horses, drive a car and a boat, how to fish, work on anything mechanical, how to use a hammer or a hunting rifle, and a hundred other things that I have carried with me, and most of which, I have passed on to my own son. And despite being a big macho guy, who was an absolute wiz with a wrench or a hammer, he was also a very affectionate father and was always emotionally 'available'. Every single night, for as far back as I can remember, he hugged us and he told us he loved us, even as we grew into adulthood. It was never embarassing to him, nor to me.

As I was growing up, he maintined a full-time job and also another part-time job when he wasn't in school (Accounting Major), in addition to running the family farm, all so his sons would have opportunities in life that he never had while growing up dirt poor in the mountains of NC. I sincerely hope he died content in the knowledge that we have capitalized on the opportunity he paid so dearly for.

I think about him constantly, and I'm still waking up three or four times each night dreaming about him. I love him more than words can express, and I miss him more than I thought possible.

:(

Minh 'Orphan' Thong

Last edited:
Snakum said:
My condolences to you, as well. I was hoping to hear that it got easier after a few days, though. :(

Despite my age, and despite having spent so many years on meditation cushions learning that the only thing we are generally guaranteed as human beings is change and suffering, I have really been having a hard time with this one. My brothers and I (four sons, no daughters) have always been very close to my Dad, and he was as much a 'best friend' as he was a 'father'. He was transfered a lot and so my family grew to be much closer than most, as we never had more than a very few close friends outside of the family. It was always "us against the world" sorta. He taught us how to ride motorcycles, break horses, drive a car and a boat, how to fish, work on anything mechanical, how to use a hammer or a hunting rifle, and a hundred other things that I have carried with me and have passed on to my own son. And despite being a big macho guy, who was an absolute wiz with a wrench or a hammer, he was also a very affectionate father and was always emotionally 'available'. Every single night, for as far back as I can remember, he hugged us and he told us he loved us, even as we grew into adulthood. It was never embarassing to him, nor to me.

As I was growing up, he maintined a full-time job and also another part-time job when he wasn't in school (Accounting Major), in addition to running the family farm, all so his sons would have opportunities in life that he never had while growing up dirt poor in the mountains of NC. I sincerely hope he died content in the knowledge that we have capitalized on the opportunity he paid so dearly for.

I think about him constantly, and I'm still waking up three or four times each night dreaming about him. I love him more than words can express, and I miss him more than I thought possible.

:(

Minh 'Orphan' Thong
Very touching words, my friend. It is sometimes "unfair" that life will throw us curve balls at the least expecting or desired times. I am sure he is in a better place now but unfortunately that is not much comfort to those who were blessed and honored by his presence here. He truly seemed like a "great" guy, I am sure he will be missed by a great many.

3 5 0

All of my most hearfelt condolences go out to you....I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a few months ago in a plane crash and while time does start to heal your broken heart, your father will always be with you.

There is no doubt in my mind that the people we love most in this world stay with us throughout our lives.

My condolences, Sir

You have some great memories. They will be with you always, as will your Dad. What a great character you have described! A wonderful spirit and sense of humor.

My Dad passed early back in '89, and Mom died this month. The America West guys gave her and I the last flight and a great ride from PHX - SJC on the 11th. Couldn't have been nicer. And she got loaded on board first! What a deal.

What can I say. Time heals all wounds, and grief is part of the process.

It will get better....

Snakum, sorry about your loss. He sounded like a wonderful guy.

Snake'um, sorry to hear of your loss, I can't imagine what you and your family are feeling right now. If it would help, it would be my honor to scatter your Dad's ashes. I fly to Juneau daily with long layovers and could help out anyway possible. There is an old church that a guy built in the early 1900's by hand. Its amazing and peaceful and right on the coast. Or I dould deliver them to a friend up there if you wanted. Just a thought, P.M. for any questions.

Been There Also

My Dad recently died also, I know how you feel.

I spread my Grandfather's ashes over the ocean with my Dad as copilot several years ago. We flew a C-172 at a slow speed, and like others have mentioned, held the bag behind the window with the opening facing aft. There was an urn with it and when all was gone, we tossed it in. When we saw it hit the water, it was like a religious experience...the sun was glinting off the water and we were right over a huge group of maybe 100 dolphins - some jumping as it hit. I will remember it always and so I say that it may be something that was done for your Dad that you will be happy to remember.

Best wishes.

Latest resources

Back