Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dad dying, ashes spread in Alaska by plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snakum

How's your marmott?
As some of you guys know, my father was diagnosed with liver cancer eight weeks ago, and the cancer has already spread throughout his entire body to his lungs, his bladder, and other major organs. Now his liver has failed completely (yesterday afternoon), so we (my family) won't have him with us much longer and we need to iron out some details pretty quickly, unfortunately :( .

Until 2002, he and my mother were driving his big travel-trailer to Juneau every year to manage a campground from April to September, and he has just absolutely fallen in love with the place and was heartbroken when they could no longer do this each year due to family obligations here in North Carolina. He was/is an avid fisherman with a small and medium-sized Captain's license (I'm not familiar with the actual titles of the certificates) and between boating, fishing, hiking, and counting bears in a friend's Super Cub he was in Heaven each year till the first cool weather came, which meant packing up to head back to NC. As much as he loved his home state, for him, I think Alaska had become 'home' over the years, and the trip back was merely 'returning to NC'.

So now that the end of his life is fast approaching, he and my mother having previously decided they both want to be cremated - which is odd for a Southern Baptist minister :) - he has hinted about the places he might like to be 'spread'. So, I was wondering if it might be possible to have a very small portion of his ashes spread via airplane, or even via boat, in Alaska? I'm assuming Dad will be considered "Hazardous Waste" (Being a life-long practical joker and a bit of a clown, he'll get a real kick out of THAT one when I tell him tonight :D ) and I'm sure I'm at risk for a heart attack when I find out the associated costs, but does anyone know if this is even possible, and how much it might cost to have a very small portion of Pop shipped to Alaska and spread anywhere within it's boundaries? Glacier Bay National Park was where he lived and worked, but I know he'd understand if he didn't make it there specifically, and he'd be happy just to be in Alaska once again, even if in a slightly modified form this time around. :D

Any ideas?

On behalf of my father, Reverend Joseph A. H. ... thanks for any info/assistance at all!

Minh Thong

Last edited:
Just be careful to think about how you would disperse the ashes from a plane, if you decide to do that and it's ok with the DNR people up there. You defintely do not want most of the ashes reciruculating in the cabin.

There may be a way of putting a tethered bag with a container of the ashes out the window, so that the ashes are deployed clear of the window or door of the aircraft.

Good luck to your family in pursuing this and best wishes, sorry to here that dad isn't doing well.

Just call one of the local Air Taxi's in Juneau, they will do it and you can ride along. Buy a ticket and fly up to Juneau on Alaska Airlines, still cheaper than a conventional funeral. God will have a great time resurrecting those ashes spread all over God's country. I still can't figure out why Jesus loved Jerusalem, guess he never visited Alaska.

The squadron was deactivated two years ago and the planes were sent to the boneyard, but right up until then, Bill was still loggin time. The ultimate pilot's dream.
Kewl! :D I needed that tonight ... thanks Griz. :)

Hi Cap'n G ... I wasn't actually going to ride with (can't afford it right now :( ), but rather was thinking I could pay to have a very small amount of Dad, about a pill bottle full, mailed up to someone and have Pops 'let go' anywhere over the state via aircraft, or even ceremoniously flung from a boat in any bay or just off the coast. I think he'd appreciate that. :)

Thanks for the wishes all.

Minh

Snakum, I am sorry to hear about your Dad.

There are lots of operaters in Alaska. The AOPA airports book has many FBO's listed. It should not be too hard for you to make contact with one.

Those who have not seen Alaska may not understand, but I think your dad is right in his choice. My thoughts are with your family.

JAFI

Snakum-

You have my condolences fro your father.

I have a coworker at work who has requested I fly him over some nearby mountains to spread his father's ashes. I must say, the stories I see here raise a few concerns I did not previosly consider. I do plan on making this flight with a little more preperation now.

You have my best.

Snakum said:
Kewl! :D I needed that tonight ... thanks Griz. :)

Hi Cap'n G ... I wasn't actually going to ride with (can't afford it right now :( ), but rather was thinking I could pay to have a very small amount of Dad, about a pill bottle full, mailed up to someone and have Pops 'let go' anywhere over the state via aircraft, or even ceremoniously flung from a boat in any bay or just off the coast. I think he'd appreciate that. :)

Thanks for the wishes all.

Minh
Have you considered having a dropzone put his remaining ashes out over North Carolina? I have some friends that are down there for a couple of years now, Karen and Marty. I tried to look at all of the websites for dropzones in North Carolina but I did not see them listed as staff. It's quite possible a dropzone would respectfully spread your dads ashes on a skydive, seeing as he is a NC resident, a pilot and a minister.

I would imagine the barter wouldn't be more than covering the cost of the jump and or just a case of beer?

I would refer you to someone up here that would respect your father with a skydive and I would even cover the jump slots if that's what it took, but I don't know what significance getting the ashes spread over Northeast Wisconsin or southern Wisconsin would be.

Look in the dropzone directory at www.uspa.org and make a call or two to some dropzones near you.

Even if it costs you a few lift tickets and/or a case of beer?

Last edited:
I lost my father four years ago also to cancer. Fortunately, for him, he went relatively quickly, but it did not ease the trauma. My thoughts are with you.

I wish you and your family all the best.

Snakum,

I'll do for you. No charge. It wouldn't be anywhere near Glacier bay, but I know some equally beautiful places in Prince William Sound.

Snakum,

You and your entire family has my deepest and most sincere sympathy and condolences. I hope in such a most trying and difficult time that you will have the strength to be able to pull through this. It saddens me to read about what has transpired in recent times on your end and I truly hope that you and your family can somehow get through in the least painful way.

I wish I was there and could be of help which I am not, I would do this free of charge in a heartbeat.

3 5 0

ps> Nice gesture A Squared, you are a class act.

Latest resources

Back